Relative motion of 3 particles

In summary: The figure is just an equilateral triangle and A, B and C are situated at its corners respectively.That is not given. Only the speed of A towards B is given.
Crystal037
Homework Statement
At the corners if an equilateral triangle of side 'l', 3 particles A, B and C are located as shown. At t=0, all the particles start moving with a uniform speed v in such a manner that always velocity of A is heading towards B, B is heading towards C and C is heading towards A. Find the time after which 3 particles will meet
Relevant Equations
V(A-B) =V(A) - V(B)
Velocity of B wrt C =
(v +v*cos 60) i^ - vsin60 j^
= (3v/2)i^-((3)^(1/2)/2v)j^
But since C is also moving this initial velocity would vary. So how to find a function which defines its path and hence I can find time at which the particles meet. I was told to take rotating frame of reference that would rotate with a magnitude and direction of vsin(theta). That would cancel the (3)^(1/2)/2*v component. But I don't understand how a rotating frame which will cause some pseudo forces to cat on the system would cancel the component perpendicular to the line joining B and C. Please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
How fast is A approaching the centre?

Likes jbriggs444
At the corners if an equilateral triangle of side 'l', 3 particles A, B and C are located as shown.

Where is the figure? Also, please write and explain your problem clearly using the mathematics tool available here, similar to ##\LaTeX##. As it stands, I understand very little of the problem you just asked, though it might well be an interesting one.

haruspex said:
How fast is A approaching the centre?
That is not given. Only the speed of A towards B is given.

brotherbobby said:
Where is the figure? Also, please write and explain your problem clearly using the mathematics tool available here, similar to ##\LaTeX##. As it stands, I understand very little of the problem you just asked, though it might well be an interesting one.
The figure is just an equilateral triangle and A, B and C are situated at its corners respectively.

Crystal037 said:
That is not given. Only the speed of A towards B is given.
What is the speed of A towards B ?

SammyS said:
What is the speed of A towards B ?
That's given in the problem statement:
Crystal037 said:
At t=0, all the particles start moving with a uniform speed v...
Moreover, we also know the direction (relative to the rotating frame). That gives us pretty much everything we need to solve the problem.

jbriggs444 said:
That's given in the problem statement:

Moreover, we also know the direction (relative to the rotating frame). That gives us pretty much everything we need to solve the problem.
What equations are you taking into considerations. Please elaborate.

Crystal037 said:
What equations are you taking into considerations. Please elaborate.
The one that @haruspex is trying to get you to think about in #2.

jbriggs444 said:
The one that @haruspex is trying to get you to think about in #2.
How will I get that information. I only know how fast its approaching the other particles.

Crystal037 said:
How will I get that information. I only know how fast its approaching the other particles.
What angle is it moving at? Measure that relative to a line pointed at the center of the triangle.

Edit: If you had listened to @brotherbobby in #3, you'd have a diagram ready to help.

jbriggs444 said:
What angle is it moving at? Measure that relative to a line pointed at the center of the triangle.

Edit: If you had listened to @brotherbobby in #3, you'd have a diagram ready to help.
IMG_20200403_141427.jpg

Rotate that image.
EquiTri-IMG_20200403_141427.jpg

So, that's a lower case L representing the initial length of each side. That ##l## doesn't show well in the default PF sans-serif font. The UNICODE character for the script version, ℓ , does look better, but can be hard to find. (See the last letter in my signature.)

Find the center of the triangle, as @haruspex suggested, then, for any vertex, find the components of the velocity relative to the center.

In my opinion, it will also be helpful to use polar coordinates. For this, vertex A is simpler to work with. Get expressions for both the position and the velocity with respect to the center.

Likes jbriggs444
Personally, I find that starting with some simple observations about the symmetry of the system and how it must evolve over time eliminates the need for coordinates. But if you must use them, then polar coordinates are definitely nice here.

Likes SammyS

1. What is relative motion of 3 particles?

The relative motion of 3 particles refers to the movement of three objects in relation to each other. It takes into account their individual velocities and positions to determine their overall motion.

2. How is relative motion of 3 particles calculated?

To calculate the relative motion of 3 particles, the velocities and positions of each particle must be known. From there, the relative velocities and positions can be determined using vector addition and subtraction.

3. What factors affect the relative motion of 3 particles?

The relative motion of 3 particles can be affected by various factors, such as the individual velocities and masses of each particle, as well as external forces acting on the particles.

4. How does relative motion of 3 particles differ from absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the movement of one object in relation to another, while absolute motion measures the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. In other words, relative motion is dependent on the observer's perspective, while absolute motion is independent of it.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying relative motion of 3 particles?

Studying relative motion of 3 particles is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be used to understand the movement of objects in space, the motion of vehicles, and the behavior of fluids and gases, among others.