Relative speed of two oppositely directed light beams

In summary, the speed of light is limited by our universe, but it seems that something else is also limited by the same factors.
David Lewis said:
It's not necessary to use light beams. If you observe two spaceships moving towards each other at +/- 0.6c then closing speed (rate at which the distance between them is decreasing) is 1.2c in your frame of reference. No physical law is violated.
A point of clarification on this: in Newtonian physics closing speed and relative velocity are equal. Not so in relativistic physics, where the closing speed is limited to ##2c## and relative velocity to ##c##.

Likes Grasshopper, vanhees71 and David Lewis
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, you are analysing this completely wrongly. You need to use Minkowski geometry, not Euclidean geometry.
No. In fact, the 4d analog of distance along a light path is zero (hence the alternative name "null worldline" for lightlike worldlines). And you can't define "speed" through 4d spacetime (Brian Greene notwithstanding) because time isn't a separate thing.
Hey real quick hijack question, then I’ll leave:

If you try to do the “Pythagorean theorem” in Minkowski space for light, it would look like this, right?
##s^2 = (ct)^2 - x_{1}^2 - x_{2}^2 - x_{3}^2 = 0##Or did I miss something?

Grasshopper said:
Or did I miss something?
Nope, that’s pretty much got it. But the implications of subtracting instead of adding as we do with Euclidean geometry are huge - most of special relativity flows from that one difference.

Likes Grasshopper and vanhees71
Grasshopper said:
Or did I miss something?
Looks fine. Pedantically, you want some deltas in there (##\Delta s##, ##\Delta t## etc) because those are differences you are working with. The distinction doesn't matter much here, but becomes important in non-inertial frames and GR.

Likes Grasshopper