How to Calculate Relative Uncertainties for Laser Beam Waist and Divergence?

In summary: Your name]In summary, the forum user is seeking guidance on how to calculate the relative error for the beam waist and angle of divergence of a laser beam using experimental data and the manufacturer's specifications. They have provided their approach, including fitting a trendline in Excel and obtaining absolute uncertainties, and are now looking for assistance in determining the relative uncertainties for each measurement. They are also reminded to compare their experimental values to the expected values in order to calculate relative error.
says

Homework Statement

How can I calculate the relative error of a laser beam waist and angle of divergence using this experimental data:
I have measured the increase in laser beam diameter as the distance from the laser increases. With this data I plotted a graph of distance from the laser beam2 vs. laser beam diameter2.

Homework Equations

half angle of divergence = 2*λ / π*s0
s2=s022z2
s0: beam waist
z: distance of beam from source
Φ: angle of divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

I fitted a LINEST trendline in excel to the graph of laser beam2 vs. laser beam diameter2, which equals y = 4.7E-7x + 3.4E-1. I also got absolute uncertainties in both of these values, being 5.5E-9 for the 4.7E-7, and 6.24E-3 for the 3.4E-1.

I know that from the trendline 3.4E-1 = beam waist2. Taking the √3.4E-1 gives me the beam waist = 5.8E-1. Converting this beam waist to 1/e2 gives a beam waist = 8.2E-1 mm

If I use the equation: half angle of divergence = 2*λ / π*beam waist = 4.8E-4. Multiplying by 2 and the full angle of divergence = 9.6E-4 rad.

beam waist = 8.2E-1 mm and angle of divergence = 9.6E-4 rad are consistent with the manufacturers specs, but I'm not sure how to calculate the relative uncertainties of each.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experimental data and approach. Calculating relative error for the beam waist and angle of divergence can help to determine the accuracy of your measurements. To calculate relative error, you will need to compare your experimental values to a known or expected value.

For the beam waist, you can compare your calculated value of 8.2E-1 mm to the manufacturer's specified value. Let's say the manufacturer's value is 8.0E-1 mm. To calculate the relative error, you would use the formula: (experimental value - expected value)/expected value * 100%. In this case, the relative error would be (8.2E-1 - 8.0E-1)/8.0E-1 * 100% = 2.5%.

For the angle of divergence, you can use a similar approach. Let's say the manufacturer's specified angle of divergence is 1.0E-3 rad. To calculate the relative error, you would use the formula: (experimental value - expected value)/expected value * 100%. In this case, the relative error would be (9.6E-4 - 1.0E-3)/1.0E-3 * 100% = -4%.

It is important to note that negative relative error indicates that your experimental value is lower than the expected value, while positive relative error indicates that your experimental value is higher than the expected value. Ideally, you want your relative error to be as close to 0% as possible, indicating a high level of accuracy in your measurements.

I hope this helps to guide you in calculating the relative error for your experimental data. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

What is relative uncertainty?

Relative uncertainty is a measure of the amount of uncertainty or error in a measurement or calculation, expressed as a percentage of the measured value. It allows for comparison between different measurements or calculations.

How is relative uncertainty calculated?

Relative uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty by the measured value and multiplying by 100. The absolute uncertainty is the range of possible values that the measurement or calculation could be within.

Why is relative uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Relative uncertainty is important because it allows for the evaluation of the accuracy and precision of a measurement or calculation. It also allows for comparison between different measurements or calculations and can help identify potential sources of error.

What factors can contribute to relative uncertainty?

Factors that can contribute to relative uncertainty include limitations of the measuring instrument, human error, and natural variability in the measured quantity. It is important to minimize these factors in order to decrease the relative uncertainty and improve the accuracy of the measurement or calculation.

How can relative uncertainty be reduced?

Relative uncertainty can be reduced by increasing the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average, and minimizing sources of error. Proper training and technique in measurement and calculation can also help reduce relative uncertainty.