Relativistic Energy Derivation math problem

In summary, the Relativistic Energy Derivation math problem involves using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², to calculate the energy of a moving object at relativistic speeds. This is done by taking into account the object's mass, speed, and the speed of light. The resulting equation, E=γmc², where γ is the Lorentz factor, allows for a more accurate measurement of energy at high speeds compared to the classical equation. This problem is commonly used in theoretical physics and has significant implications in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.
michael154
Hey,

In a derivation of relativistic energy (in Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 5th edition, Serway and Beichner) they use a method of integration by substitution:

Given that

[itex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]

and relativistic momentum is given by

[itex]p=\frac{mv}{\sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))}[/itex]

[itex]W=∫F dx=∫\frac{dp}{dt} dx[/itex]

which is fine then they say

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{mv}{\sqrt(1−(\frac{(v^2)}{c^2}))}=\frac{m\frac{dv}{dt}}{(1−(\frac{v^2}{c^2}))^(\frac{3}{2})}[/itex]

(This is about halfway through the derivation.)
its that last step that i don't understand. why does the denominator term now have a 3/2 index? and why is du/dt given like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is there a missing square-root symbol?

michael154 said:
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{mv}{1−(\frac{(v^2)}{c^2})}=\frac{m\frac{dv}{dt}}{(1−(\frac{v^2}{c^2}))^(\frac{3}{2})}[/tex]
(d/dt)(mv(1-v2)-1/2) = m(1-v2)-1/2dv/dt -1/2(-2v)(mv)(1-v2)-3/2)dv/dt
[first term is from d/dt'ing the v in the numerator, second is from d/dt'ing the denominator]

= m(1-v2 + v2)(1-v2)-3/2dv/dt = m(1-v2)-3/2dv/dt

Sorry but that's not very clear. I have trouble reading non formatted math like that. As a second year physics student in uni, should I be able to do that differentiation by hand?

michael154 said:
Sorry but that's not very clear. I have trouble reading non formatted math like that. As a second year physics student in uni, should I be able to do that differentiation by hand?

Try looking up "chain rule". Wiki has a definition, it might not be the easiest to read. Note that you want to find (d/dt) p(t) which is equal to (d/dt) p(v(t)), and that m is assumed to be constant (not a function of time).

Sorry I use u instead of v for velocity

michael154 said:

In plain English the reason you get an exponent of -3/2 is because γ(u) is an exponent of -1/2, and what's the derivative of x-1/2? It's (-1/2)x-3/2.

I actually just posted a similar question regarding this topic, but with the time component rather than space.

Last edited:

Related to Relativistic Energy Derivation math problem

1. What is the equation for relativistic energy derivation?

The equation for relativistic energy derivation is E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the energy of a body at rest is equal to its mass multiplied by the square of the speed of light.

3. What does this equation represent?

This equation represents the relationship between mass and energy in a relativistic context, where the speed of light is a fundamental constant and must be taken into account.

4. How does this equation differ from the classical equation for energy (E = 1/2 mv^2)?

The classical equation for energy does not take into account the effects of relativity, such as the increase in mass at high speeds. The relativistic energy derivation equation accounts for these effects and provides a more accurate representation of the relationship between mass and energy.

5. What units are used in this equation?

The units used in this equation are energy (E) in joules (J), mass (m) in kilograms (kg), and the speed of light (c) in meters per second (m/s).