Relativistic mass for an interstellar craft

In summary, the conversation discusses theoretical designs for interstellar ships and the potential impact of relativistic mass on their success. It is concluded that relativistic mass is simply an observational effect and does not limit the potential for building super fast craft.
Hercuflea
So there have been some theoretical designs for ships in the past that would be used for interstellar missions, i.e. Daedalus, Ramjet, Orion, etc. that may send ships to near relativistic speeds. I think daedalus had a max. speed goal of around .1c. My question is do you think that relativistic mass could be the downfall of these designs? I don't think around .1c would be fast enough to warrant relativistic treatment of the flight, but I have read that some antimatter powered designs could potentially reach .4-.5c which would certainly be relativistic.

So by special relativity, say an antimatter powered ship is going ~.5c

m = m0 / sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)

m = m0 / sqrt(1-.5^2)

m = m0 / .866 = 1.155 m0

So a ship at this speed would have gained 15% more mass than when it left earth. Woudln't all of this extra mass cause enough stress on the structure of the ship to practically rip it apart? I don't really know where the extra mass comes from, but I assume that the ship would be basically growing as it speeds up towards c? Or is the "relativistic mass" basically just the mass change as measured from an observer on earth, whereas the astronauts on the ship would not notice any difference in the mass, or length for that matter, of the ship?

Does relativity basically preclude us from building super fast craft, because the mass growth of the ship would basically destroy the design of the ship?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hercuflea said:
Or is the "relativistic mass" basically just the mass change as measured from an observer on earth, whereas the astronauts on the ship would not notice any difference in the mass, or length for that matter, of the ship?

That is correct. Relativistic mass is the apparent Newtonian mass of a moving object and is purely an observational effect.

Hercuflea said:
Does relativity basically preclude us from building super fast craft, because the mass growth of the ship would basically destroy the design of the ship?

Special relativity do not impose any special limit to where you (as an astronaut in a suitably build spaceship) can go in the visible universe. You are even allowed to go to Andromeda, our next door galaxy neighbor, if you really want to. See [1] for some details.

[1] http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is relativistic mass and how does it apply to an interstellar craft?

Relativistic mass is the mass of an object that is moving at a high speed relative to an observer. In the context of an interstellar craft, it refers to the increase in mass as the craft approaches the speed of light. This increase in mass is due to the effects of time dilation and the conservation of energy.

2. How does relativistic mass affect the performance of an interstellar craft?

The increase in relativistic mass can make it more difficult for an interstellar craft to accelerate to high speeds, as it requires more energy to move a larger mass. This can also lead to a decrease in fuel efficiency and a longer travel time. However, once the craft reaches its desired speed, the effects of relativistic mass will become less significant.

3. Can relativistic mass be decreased or eliminated for an interstellar craft?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate relativistic mass, it is possible to reduce its effects. This can be achieved by designing the craft to have a lower mass or by using advanced propulsion systems that can overcome the challenges posed by relativistic mass.

4. How does the concept of relativistic mass tie into Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light. According to this theory, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass will increase due to the conversion of energy into mass. This concept is known as relativistic mass and is an important aspect of Einstein's theory.

5. Is there a limit to how much the relativistic mass of an interstellar craft can increase?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass will continue to increase infinitely. However, for practical purposes, the increase in relativistic mass becomes negligible once the craft reaches a high percentage of the speed of light. This limit is often referred to as the "relativistic mass limit" and is a crucial consideration in the design of interstellar craft.