Relativistic mechanics Taylor expansion

In summary, the first non-vanishing term in the expansion of the relative difference between the speed of the particle and the speed of light, (c-v)/c, is (1/2)(mc/p)^2.
infinitylord

Homework Statement

For a particle traveling near the speed of light, find the first non-vanishing term in the expansion of the relative difference between the speed of the particle and the speed of light, (c-v)/c, in the limit of very large momentum p>>mc. Hint: Use (mc/p) as a small parameter for your expansion.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is (1/2)(mc/p)^2, but I'm not sure where this answer comes from. I understand the basic idea of expansions, however, I'm not sure as to what "in the limit of very large momentum" means. Can someone guide me through this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
"In the limit of large momentum" means that the momentum is very large in comparison to the mass, i.e., exactly what the problem statement tells you. It means that the mass can be considered a small parameter in which you can perform a series expansion.

I understand that it means that momentum is very large compared to mass. However, I'm still not really sure where to begin with the actual expansion. Am I expanding the (c-v)/c?

Since you want the momentum to appear in your answer, try writing v/c in terms of momentum and energy.

Thanks for the help and sorry it has taken me so long to respond.
Okay, here's where I got with this.
v = (p/m)/(1+(p/mc)2)1/2
multiply the top and bottom by mc/p to get
c/(1+(mc/p)2)1/2
Then I tried using the known expansion (1+x)n = 1+nx+1/2(n-1)nx^2... where n=-1/2 and x=(mc/p)2 (and c will just be multiplied by each term).
So this all should yield:
c - 1/2*c*(mc/p)2 + 3/8*c*(mc/p)4.

This is not the correct answer so I'm still not quite sure what's going wrong with this.

This is your expression for v, not for (c-v)/c. Try expressing (c-v)/c using what you already obtained for v. (Also, neglect the term proportional to m^4 c^4/p^4 ...)

Oh so the c's cancel out leaving the desired first term! Thanks for the help

Related to Relativistic mechanics Taylor expansion

1. What is relativistic mechanics Taylor expansion?

Relativistic mechanics Taylor expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate the behavior of a relativistic system, which takes into account the effects of special relativity. It involves expanding a function or equation in a series of terms, using the derivatives of the function at a specific point to calculate successive terms. This allows for a more accurate representation of the system's behavior, especially at high speeds.

2. Why is Taylor expansion necessary in relativistic mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the Newtonian laws of motion are sufficient to describe the behavior of objects at low speeds. However, at high speeds approaching the speed of light, the effects of special relativity become significant and must be taken into account. Taylor expansion allows for a more accurate description of the system's behavior by incorporating these relativistic effects.

3. How is Taylor expansion used in relativistic mechanics?

In relativistic mechanics, Taylor expansion is used to approximate equations of motion, such as the relativistic energy-momentum relation or the relativistic force law. It is also used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction in a moving reference frame. The expansion is typically carried out to a certain order, depending on the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the limitations of Taylor expansion in relativistic mechanics?

While Taylor expansion is a useful tool in relativistic mechanics, it has its limitations. It is only accurate for small changes in the input variables and becomes less accurate as the expansion order increases. Additionally, it may not accurately capture non-linear effects in highly relativistic systems. In these cases, more advanced mathematical techniques, such as differential geometry, may be necessary.

5. How does Taylor expansion relate to the Lorentz transformation?

Taylor expansion is closely related to the Lorentz transformation, which describes the effects of special relativity on space and time. In fact, the Taylor expansion of the Lorentz transformation can be used to derive the relativistic energy-momentum relation and other important equations in relativistic mechanics. Both tools are essential in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds in a relativistic framework.