Relativistic Spring-Mass Oscillator: A Paradox?

In summary: Don't talk about longitudinal and transverse masses; I can orient the oscillator any way I want.You can orient the oscillator however you like, as long as you are consistent with the postulates. In summary, the oscillator on a train moving at relativistic speed appears to have two contradictory properties: the mass appears to have increased, while the period is supposed to be proportional to the square root of the mass. But according to SR, the period is actually proportional to the square root of the mass according to the postulates, and the mass is not supposed to change. Something is wrong.
Alfred Cann
Consider a spring-mass oscillator on a train moving at relativistic speed.
According to SR, to a stationary observer, both the mass and the period will appear to have increased by a factor of γ.
But the period is supposed to be proportional to the square root of the mass. Something is wrong.
Don't talk about longitudinal and transverse masses; I can orient the oscillator any way I want.
Don't talk about the mass oscillating at relativistic speed; I can keep the oscillation slow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the relativistic force transformation rules?

Alfred Cann said:
the period is supposed to be proportional to the square root of the mass.

It's proportional to the square root of the mass, and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant. So how does the spring constant transform when you change frames?

Alfred Cann said:
I can orient the oscillator any way I want.

So which way do you want to orient it?

Alfred Cann said:
Something is wrong.
Yes, the formula for the period of a spring is non-relativistic.

I had assumed the spring constant is invariant; you guys are implying that it changes.

Alfred Cann said:
I had assumed the spring constant is invariant; you guys are implying that it changes.
I suspect that not just the spring constant, but also Hookes law is not invariant.

Dale said:
Yes, the formula for the period of a spring is non-relativistic.

This shouldn't be an issue. As the OP said, the oscillations in the frame of the moving train can be slow, so Hooke's law should apply in the frame of the train to whatever accuracy you want. The question is how to reconcile this with what the stationary observer sees as the train speeds by. I think the right answer, as others have implied, is that the spring constant as perceived by the stationary observer is different from that perceived by the observer on the train. @Alfred Cann, imagine the train speeding by multiple times (or multiple trains) with different weights hanging from the spring. What would he see?

phyzguy said:
This shouldn't be an issue.
How could it not be? The derivation by which the OP expects the frequency to depend on the square root of the mass is based on Hooke’s law and Newton’s laws. If those are non relativistic then the relationship should not be expected to hold relativistically.

Likes Pencilvester
Alfred Cann said:
I had assumed the spring constant is invariant

You should not assume. You should try to calculate in order to either demonstrate that it's correct or realize that it's not correct. In order to do that calculation you will first need to find a relativistic version of Hooke's law, since the ordinary version is written in terms of 3-vectors, not 4-vectors, and is therefore not relativistically invariant, as @Dale has pointed out.

Alfred Cann said:
According to SR, to a stationary observer, both the mass and the period will appear to have increased by a factor of γ.

The period will increase, that's a consequence of the postulates. The same cannot be said for the mass. Saying that the mass increases is a choice about the meaning of a word, it's not a consequence of the postulates.

1. What is a relativistic spring-mass oscillator?

A relativistic spring-mass oscillator is a theoretical model that describes the motion of a spring attached to a mass, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It is based on the premise that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, leading to a change in its oscillatory behavior.

2. What is the paradox associated with the relativistic spring-mass oscillator?

The paradox arises when considering the behavior of the relativistic spring-mass oscillator at speeds approaching the speed of light. According to classical physics, the frequency of oscillation should increase as the speed increases. However, relativity predicts that the frequency should decrease. This contradiction is known as the relativistic spring-mass oscillator paradox.

3. How is the relativistic spring-mass oscillator paradox resolved?

The paradox can be resolved by taking into account the time dilation and length contraction effects predicted by special relativity. These effects cause a decrease in the perceived frequency of oscillation at high speeds, explaining the discrepancy between classical and relativistic predictions.

4. What are the implications of the relativistic spring-mass oscillator paradox?

The paradox highlights the fundamental differences between classical and relativistic theories at high speeds. It also demonstrates the importance of considering the effects of relativity in situations where velocities approach the speed of light.

5. Can the relativistic spring-mass oscillator be tested experimentally?

While the paradox itself cannot be directly tested, the underlying principles of relativity have been extensively tested and verified through experiments such as the Michelson-Morley experiment. Additionally, the predictions of the relativistic spring-mass oscillator have been observed in experiments with particle accelerators, providing further evidence for the validity of the theory.