Relativistic Time & Mass-Energy Phasors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time as it relates to the quantum wave function and the relativistic 4-momentum. It poses the question of whether objects with larger mass travel through time more quickly than those with smaller mass, and whether this can be seen in the frequency difference of the rate of rotation of their phasors. However, it is clarified that in relativity, time dilation is not determined by mass or energy, but rather by the proper time along an object's worldline. The concept of "phasors" and "frequencies" is a quantum concept and does not directly apply to classical relativity.
DiracPool
I’m trying to get a better handle on reconciling the concept of time as it relates to the quantum wave function and the relativistic 4-momentum. To put it simply, do we look at the coefficient of the time variable in each as something separate from the time variable itself, or do we treat these as a unit?

For example, in relation to QM where E=energy and M=mass, we have the energy function (psi)=e^-i(Et) which is equivalent to (psi)=e^-i(Mt) setting c and h to zero. The energy-mass coefficient of time in this equation determines the rotation rate of a “phasor” in complex space which, presumably, represents not only some indication of the energy-mass of, say, the object, it also represents, I assume, some characterization as to how that object is traveling through time. More specifically, It would seem that a higher energy-mass object would translate into the representation of an object moving through time faster than a lower energy-mass object would. Why? Because whatever time variable we are presented with is multiplied by the energy-mass coefficient. Therefore, a larger-mass object would possesses phasors that are spinning more quickly through complex space than a smaller-mass object which translates into that object moving through time more quickly than the smaller-mass object.

This idea seems to be the same when we look at the 4-momentum. Again, as in the above example, if we consider a stationary object with zero momentum, everything that is the 4-momentum is contained in the “time slot.” If we’re looking at the 4-velocity, this figure amounts to c, the speed of light. So implicitly this is telling us that object A in its own reference frame with unit mass “moves through time” at the speed of c. However, object B with 10x unit mass moves through time at 10 times the speed of the unit mass object, A.

So, as a first pause, am I correct in my above interpretation? I’m coming at this from a “B-prefix” perspective but this is what the math is telling me. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Now on to the follow-up question. In the above discussion, we were talking about two objects, A and B, each in their own reference frame. Let’s say we now set these two objects moving at a velocity relative to one another. What do we get then? Let’s say we set object B moving relative to object A and make A the inertial reference “lab” frame. What do we get here? Well, it would seem to me that we could do a Lorentz transform on the time variable of B’s wave function and get a time dilation effect. However, we could also argue that, even so, B is still traveling through time faster than A because the coefficient (energy-mass) of its time variable is much larger than A’s. In fact, it’s mc^2 times faster.

The upshot of this argument is that, even though B is traveling relative to A, B is aging faster than A due to its larger mass. Again, this is what the math seems to be telling me. Maybe I’m missing something here.

Of course, I could state the problem much more straightforwardly and ask, does an object with a larger mass travel through time more quickly than an object with a smaller mass? When looking at objects A and B we can look at it two ways assuming each are in the same inertial reference frame: 1) we can look at it as they are both traveling through time at the same rate as defined by the variable t in their energy wave function and that the only difference between the two is the mass coefficient of that time variable. In this case, the difference would manifest itself only in the frequency difference of the rate of rotation of their phasors, which only relates to their respective energies. On the other hand, we can eschew the distinction between the energy coefficient and the time variable and simply say that B is traveling through time faster than A, period. Which one is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
am I correct in my above interpretation?

I would say no, because it's leading you to an incorrect inference. See below.

DiracPool said:
The upshot of this argument is that, even though B is traveling relative to A, B is aging faster than A due to its larger mass. Again, this is what the math seems to be telling me. Maybe I’m missing something here.

Yes, you are. "Aging" in relativity is not described by mass or energy. It's described by the proper time along an object's worldline. The proper time does not depend on the object's mass or energy; it only depends on the arc length along the worldline, which is a purely geometric quantity.

DiracPool said:
I could state the problem much more straightforwardly and ask, does an object with a larger mass travel through time more quickly than an object with a smaller mass?

Yes, this is better because it doesn't bring in all the extraneous stuff about QM (see further comments below). It just poses a straightforward question in the framework of relativity, which has a straightforward answer: no. See above.

DiracPool said:
the difference would manifest itself only in the frequency difference of the rate of rotation of their phasors, which only relates to their respective energies

As far as relativity is concerned, energy/mass is just energy/mass; the concept of "phasors" with "frequencies" is a quantum concept and doesn't appear in classical relativity at all. If you want to ask about how that works (your picture of it is not necessarily wrong, but it seems to me to be too simplistic), you should start a separate thread in the Quantum Physics forum. The only real answer I can give from the standpoint of relativity is the one I gave above.

Likes DiracPool

1. What does the theory of relativity say about time and space?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that time and space are not absolute, but instead are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the passage of time and the measurement of distances can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

2. How does the theory of relativity affect our understanding of time dilation?

The theory of relativity predicts that time dilation occurs when an object travels at high speeds or is in a strong gravitational field. This means that time will appear to pass slower for an observer in motion or in a strong gravitational field compared to an observer at rest.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy according to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity describes the famous equation E=mc², which states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This means that mass can be converted into energy, and vice versa, under certain conditions.

4. How do phasors relate to the theory of relativity?

In the context of relativistic time and mass-energy, phasors are used to represent the complex relationship between time and energy for objects moving at high speeds. They help us understand how time and energy are affected by factors such as velocity and mass.

5. What practical applications does the theory of relativity have?

The theory of relativity has numerous practical applications, including GPS technology, nuclear power, and particle accelerators. It has also led to advancements in our understanding of the universe and has been crucial in the development of modern physics and technology.