Relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of a function, represented as ##\lambda^{\frac{1}{2}}##, in the calculation of a relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral. The function is shorthand for ##\sqrt{\lambda (x,y,z)}## and can be found in various textbooks and lecture notes on relativistic particle kinematics. The Källén function is a commonly used reference for this function, while the Review of Particle Physics provides a comprehensive overview of kinematics in relativistic scattering problems.
George Wu
TL;DR Summary
I encounter a function that I don‘t know in the calculation of Relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral
I encounter a function that I don‘t know in the calculation of Relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral:
1684333571500.png

in this equation, ##s##is the square of total energy of the system in the center-of-mass frame(I think)
I don't know what the function ##\lambda^{\frac{1}{2}}## is.
There are more equations involving this function:
P$3{FTJ%2Z0E4A%)9[BD%[C.png

I just want to know if anyone knows which textbook these equations come from, or what the function ##\lambda^{\frac{1}{2}}## is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reference for those 2 screenshots? A book, some lecture notes we could have access to. Otherwise, I can't recall any special function in mathematics with that notation.

1. What is the concept of relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral?

The relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral is a mathematical concept used in particle physics to calculate the probability of a 2-body interaction occurring. It takes into account the relativistic effects of the particles involved, such as their velocities and energy, to accurately calculate the probability of the interaction.

2. How is the relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral calculated?

The calculation of the relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral involves integrating over all possible energy and momentum combinations of the particles involved. This allows for the inclusion of relativistic effects and results in a more accurate calculation of the interaction probability.

3. Why is the relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral important in particle physics?

In particle physics, it is important to accurately calculate the probability of interactions between particles. The relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral allows for the inclusion of relativistic effects, which are essential in understanding and predicting particle interactions.

4. How does the relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral differ from the non-relativistic version?

The non-relativistic version of the 2-body phase space integral does not take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. The relativistically invariant version includes these effects, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the interaction probability.

5. What are some applications of the relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral?

The relativistically invariant 2-body phase space integral is used in various areas of particle physics, such as in the calculation of cross-sections for particle collisions and in the study of particle decays. It is also important in the development of new theories and models in particle physics.