Relativity: Curving of Space & Mass Inflation Explained

In summary: No, that is not how it works. You are making up your own theory, rather than questioning known facts.
farolero
so i take that the apple doesn't fall but that the ground acelerates up by relativity

this means the Earth inflates at a certain rate thing not noticed for the measure instrument inflates simultaneously

but we feel the inertia effects of the ground moving up making things fall and keeping us on the ground

so as einstein said space curves around mass, more exactly space shrinks around mass

by realitvity i can take space shrinks around mass or mass inflates around space

the shrinkig of space around mass decreases squred to the distance of the mass which also explains orbits

so could i take relativity and curving of space this way or is it wrong?

this is backed up by the fact that the universe inflates and that space changes shape around mass

Physics news on Phys.org
farolero said:
so i take that the apple doesn't fall but that the ground acelerates up by relativity

this means the Earth inflates...

No, it doesn't mean that the Earth inflates. In curved space time, proper acceleration away from the center, doesn't imply movement away from the center.

Likes Dale
farolero said:
so could i take relativity and curving of space this way or is it wrong?
Wrong, I'm afraid.

You can always locally treat a free falling object as still, true. But extrapolating that to a larger region - such as the whole Earth - doesn't work too well. Earth is not expanding. Its radius, area, and volume remain constant.

This is basically a feature of curved spacetime. Trying to generalise descriptions that work well over small areas is not always straightforward - and pretty much impossible without using the mathematical descriptions.

Likes Dale
farolero said:
No. Where did you get this idea? The force of the Earth on the apple is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of the apple on the earth. So the apple both accelerate toward their centre of mass but since the Earth is so much more massive than the apple (by a factor of about 10
26, its acceleration is about 1/1026th of the apple's acceleration - ie. cannot be measured.

AM

but doesn't the whole universe inflate? isn't this a fact?

wouldnt this imply an inertial gravit for what i explained?

the problem with universe inflation is that how do you know its rate if the measure instrument inflates as well?

farolero said:
but doesn't the whole universe inflate?
Outside of galaxies.

The universe is expanding. Measurement apparatus and other bound systems, like the Earth, are not. That's how we can measure the universe to be expanding.

That is a different phenomenon to a ball falling near Earth.

farolero said:
Andrew Mason said:
No. Where did you get this idea?
This part is correct. The ground has proper acceleration upwards, while the apple has zero proper acceleration. It just doesn’t imply inflation of the Earth.

if the distance between stars increases by inflation due to certain property of space wouldn't this apply to the components of an atom as well being this mostly made of space?

again how can you falsify the Earth is inflating if the measure instrument and your eyes inflate as well?

you would just expect an inertia effect that in fact is there as well

this reminds me a lot that certainly the sun revolves around the Earth cause your senses tell you so

The distance between atoms doesn't change due to cosmological expansion. The distance between planets doesn't change due to cosmological expansion. The distance between stars doesn't change due to cosmological expansion. The distance between galaxies doesn't change due to cosmological expansion. The distance between galactic clusters does. The difference between that last one and the rest of the list is how we can measure cosmological expansion.

Sure, if the Earth and all are rulers changed scale we wouldn't detect any change. But then why does the ball fall? The distance between the Earth and the ball would scale too. Put too balls next to each other but hang one from a piece of string. How can rescaling make one fall but the other not?

First, it is better (and more congruent with PF policies) for you to ask what conventional physics says than to make up your own theories (like gravity being caused by an expanding earth).

Second, if gravity were caused by an expanding earth, how long before the Earth and moon collide? This theory is a non-starter.

"Second, if gravity were caused by an expanding earth, how long before the Earth and moon collide? This theory is a non-starter."

this wouldn't happen in an shrinking space where this effect decreases with the distance squared

im taking the known things and questioning them and making whatif in order to learn

The problem with this is that you scatter silly ideas around and spend ages investigating why they make no sense. And when you've finished doing that you know no actual physics - just that your ideas were wrong. Open a textbook and learn. Then you'll have the grounding to generate plausible ideas.

well if you know something really well you know perfetly why something is wrong or right

i try to find a balance to use stablished ideas and understand them instead of memorizing

the shrinking space model is a curved space in an inflating universe, its the same than einstein said with another words or that's what i think

farolero said:
its the same than einstein said with another words
And three is the same as five, just with another word.

Likes stoomart, Vanadium 50 and Ibix
farolero said:

Andrew Mason said:
No. Where did you get this idea?

I think Bryan Greene and Brian Cox might have something to do with it!

farolero said:
and making whatif in order to learn
That is not how this forum works

This thread is going nowhere. On these words of wisdom:
Ibix said:
Open a textbook and learn. Then you'll have the grounding to generate plausible ideas.
thread closed.

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory in physics that explains the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is one of the fundamental theories in modern physics.

2. How does relativity explain the curving of space?

According to relativity, space is not a fixed, absolute entity, but rather a dynamic concept that is influenced by the presence of mass and energy. When an object with mass is present, it causes a curvature in space, much like placing a heavy object on a stretched fabric. This curvature is what we perceive as gravity.

3. What is mass inflation in relation to relativity?

Mass inflation is a phenomenon predicted by relativity where the mass of an object increases as it approaches the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object's speed increases, its energy also increases, and according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent.

4. How does relativity explain the relationship between space and time?

Relativity states that space and time are intertwined and can no longer be considered as separate entities. This is known as space-time. The theory of relativity also predicts that the passage of time is relative and can differ between observers depending on their relative speeds and gravitational fields.

5. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding gravity and the behavior of objects in space. It has also led to the discovery of new phenomena, such as black holes and gravitational waves. Additionally, relativity has been used to make accurate predictions and calculations in various areas of physics, such as GPS technology.