Relativity: Observer's Perspective - Am I Getting it Right?

• Thread starter Vincent Vespa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario involving two lasers placed in a "gravity free" environment and fired at the same time. However, the scenario is unclear and confusing, with many questions that need to be answered for a clear understanding. The conversation also mentions the concept of relativity and the role of the observer in determining relative perspectives.
Vincent Vespa
Hello, all. I'm trying to wrap my mind around relativity, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting it wrong. I'd really appreciate it if anyone were to take the time to chime in on this hypothetical that I think explains it.

Say someone was to put two lasers (in a "gravity free" environment) 599,584,916 kilometers apart and fired them at the exact same time. Imagining that the two laser points are observation points and that the person running the experiment was in the center of these two points (299,792,458 km from either laser), we get three relative perspectives. For the observer in the middle, the two points would appear to meet in the center (taking 500 seconds). For either of the laser points they should appear to meet at the opposite laser (taking 1,000 seconds), since the stationary (from the view of the experimenter) lasers would be moving at the speed of light relative to the laser point.

Do I have this right? I don't really have anyone else to ask... I'm not a student or anything, just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vincent Vespa said:
Do I have this right? I don't really have anyone else to ask... I'm not a student or anything, just curious.

Did you mean 1000 seconds and 2000 seconds? Light takes 1000 seconds to cover 299,792,458 km.

But even after making that correction, the answer is no, as there is no such thing as the reference frame of light, or the world as viewed by a beam of light. There's some discussion of this in the FAQ at the head of this page.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511170

Last edited:
Vincent Vespa said:
Hello, all. I'm trying to wrap my mind around relativity, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting it wrong. I'd really appreciate it if anyone were to take the time to chime in on this hypothetical that I think explains it.
I think a lot of us would like to chime in but your scenario is very confusing. Here are some questions you need to answer:
Vincent Vespa said:
Say someone was to put two lasers (in a "gravity free" environment) 599,584,916 kilometers apart and fired them at the exact same time.
1) Which direction are the lasers pointed in? Are they aimed at each other or in some other direction?

2) When you say "fired", do you mean they both emit a short burst of laser light or do you mean they are turned on and stay on?
Vincent Vespa said:
Imagining that the two laser points are observation points and that the person running the experiment was in the center of these two points (299,792,458 km from either laser), we get three relative perspectives.
3) Are these two laser points moving or stationary?

4) Are these two laser points the emitted laser light from a burst?

5) Are these two laser points a place where the laser light is shining, making a bright dot or point?

6) Are there two observers located wherever these two laser points are?

7) Is the person running the experiment moving or stationary?

8) Is the person running the experiment located in line with the two lasers?

9) Are the two lasers aimed at the person running the experiment?

10) Does the person running the experiment fire the lasers?
Vincent Vespa said:
For the observer in the middle, the two points would appear to meet in the center (taking 500 seconds). For either of the laser points they should appear to meet at the opposite laser (taking 1,000 seconds), since the stationary (from the view of the experimenter) lasers would be moving at the speed of light relative to the laser point.
I can't make any sense of these statements. Maybe after you answer the above 10 questions you will understand how to rephrase the rest of your scenario.
Vincent Vespa said:

Related to Relativity: Observer's Perspective - Am I Getting it Right?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories (general and special) developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. These theories explain the relationship between space, time, and gravity, and have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

2. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and acceleration on objects in motion.

3. How does relativity affect our perception of time and space?

According to relativity, time and space are not absolute and can change depending on the motion and gravitational field of an observer. This means that time and space can appear different to different observers, leading to phenomena like time dilation and length contraction.

4. Is the theory of relativity proven?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It has also been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.

5. How does relativity impact our daily lives?

While the effects of relativity may not be noticeable in our daily lives, it has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements, such as GPS systems and nuclear energy.