Relevance to math grad school?

In summary, the speaker plans to take linear algebra and number theory in the fall semester, but is unable to take a graduate level course in topology or analysis due to time conflicts. Their school does offer courses in set theory and logic, which are considered graduate level but may be more like advanced undergraduate level. However, these courses may still be relevant for graduate school if the student needs to improve their abstract proofs skills. The speaker also wonders about taking an advanced undergraduate course in topology or analysis, but their university only offers a strong undergraduate analysis course and a weak graduate level topology course that may be considered advanced undergraduate at other schools. Unfortunately, due to timing conflicts, the speaker is unable to take both the set theory and linear algebra courses as well.
DeadOriginal
I will be taking linear algebra and number theory during the coming fall semester. I was also hoping to take a graduate level course in topology or analysis as well but because of time conflicts I cannot register for the class. My school does offer courses in set theory and logic and these are considered "graduate" level but it looks more like borderline advanced undergraduate level than anything. I really enjoy analysis and number theory. Would set theory or logic have any relevance? In particular, would they have any relevance to grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are certainly graduate level logic courses in the world (such as math 280 at Harvard which I rashly started to take as a freshman), but I cannot tell what level yours is. If it is really a senior level "proofs" course, it still has relevance if you are someone who needs some abstract proofs work. I.e. graduate work in math does require a mastery of basic sets and logic, but you imply you may already have that.

what about taking an advanced undergraduate course in topology or analysis?

The strongest undergraduate analysis course at my university is at the level of Spivak which I have already taken. Sadly enough, there is no undergraduate course in topology. The weakest topology course that they offer is at the "graduate" level which I suspect after talking with my professor about it, would be considered advanced undergraduate at most other schools. Of course, due to the strategic planning of this early April fool's joke, it conflicts with the timing of my required linear algebra course. After further inspection, I have also come to realize that the set theory course is also in conflict.

Related to Relevance to math grad school?

1. What are the requirements for admission into a math graduate program?

The specific requirements for admission into a math graduate program vary depending on the university and program. However, some common requirements include a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and a competitive score on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).

2. How important are research experience and publications for admission into a math graduate program?

Research experience and publications can greatly strengthen your application for a math graduate program. Many programs look for applicants who have demonstrated a strong aptitude for research and a passion for the subject. However, it is not necessary to have publications in order to be admitted, as long as you can demonstrate your potential for success in a graduate program through other means such as coursework, projects, and letters of recommendation.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific subfield of math in mind before applying to a graduate program?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific subfield of math in mind before applying to a graduate program. Many programs allow students to explore different areas of mathematics before deciding on a focus for their research. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a general interest in the subject, but the specific area of research can be determined during the program.

4. How can I make my application stand out to be accepted into a math graduate program?

In addition to meeting the basic requirements and having strong academic credentials, you can make your application stand out by highlighting your research experience, relevant coursework, and any other relevant experiences such as teaching or tutoring. It is also important to have strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement that showcases your passion for mathematics and your potential for success in a graduate program.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a math degree?

Graduates with a math degree have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include academia, research, data analysis and statistics, finance and banking, engineering, and computer programming. A math degree provides strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly sought after in various industries.