Removing a crane cylinder, force calculation

In summary, the conversation is about removing a hydraulic cylinder from a crane on an oil rig in the North Sea. The plan is to move the crane boom to a specific position and use a tensioned cable to prevent the main boom from dropping. The person asks for help in determining the strength of wire needed for this. However, it is advised to consult a professional mechanical engineer for accurate calculations.
ted potts
Crane Fx2_001.jpg
Hi I'm working on a project out in the North Sea on an oil rig, we need to remove a hydraulic cylinder from a crane, I have attached a drawing the red cylinder B needs to be removed.

To do this we will move the crane boom to the position shown by the orange lines and rest the end down on the ground (pipe deck) we will then remove the red cylinder B, now all being well the main boom will support the outer boom and their will be no movement, however should the green cylinder A fail there is the potential for the main boom to drop and the outer boom slide out, so to prevent this happening we intend to put a tensioned cable (green Line) between the main crane pedestal AP to the end of the outer boom,

my question is what strength of wire do we need to use to prevent this from collapsing if effectively there were no cylinder's supporting it? Maybe best to add I am no mathematician but do like to read up and have a go, am I any where near with 18.8kn? I also got the friction coefficient as 0.45 so am I right in thinking steel on steel this shouldn't slip anyway and without any extra added forces should support itself. I've based my working on the ladder against a wall physics problem, I haven't shown all of my workings out just the last bit. so...how did I do?

Thanks for taking a look guys :)

Attachments

• Crane Fx2.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've attached the PDF which is slightly clearer than the image

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Sorry, you should not be asking this question on an Internet forum. Ask your supervisor to get a professional Mechanical Engineer involved to help with this problem. Thread will stay closed.

1. What is a crane cylinder and why is it important to remove it?

A crane cylinder is a hydraulic component that is responsible for lifting and lowering heavy loads. It is important to remove it for maintenance or replacement purposes.

2. How do you calculate the force needed to remove a crane cylinder?

The force required to remove a crane cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the pressure in the cylinder by its cross-sectional area.

3. What factors can affect the force calculation for removing a crane cylinder?

The factors that can affect the force calculation include the size and weight of the crane cylinder, the pressure of the hydraulic system, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when removing a crane cylinder?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when removing a crane cylinder, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring the crane is stable and secure.

5. Can the force calculation be used to determine the best method for removing a crane cylinder?

While the force calculation can provide an estimate of the force needed to remove a crane cylinder, the best method for removal will depend on the specific circumstances and should be determined by a trained professional.