Removing a Light Bulb: How Does it Affect Resistance and Current in a Circuit?

In summary: If the battery was 100 V, the current through each bulb would be:Rbefore = 10 + 10 + 5 = 25 ohmsRafter = 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 ohms
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

Circuit quesiton.PNG

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law, Equations for parallel and series combinations of resistors[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Working this problem I obtain a solution that doesn't make sense, which is that the bulbs are dimmer.

If I assign 10 ohms to each bulb, I believe the total resistance would be:

[tex]R_D+R_C+\left(\frac{1}{R_A}+\frac{1}{R_B}\right)^{-1}=25\Omega[/tex]

After removing A, it would just be 30 ohms.

Before: 25 ohms
After: 30 ohms

So now there's more resistance and less current? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
AdkinsJr said:
So now there's more resistance and less current?
That's an unhelpfully vague statement. WHERE would there be more or less of something and what would the effect be?

Less overall current - true. So figure out each bulb individually to see how much current - before and after.

TomHart said:
Less overall current - true. So figure out each bulb individually to see how much current - before and after.

Right, and I still find that they are dimmer. If there's less current after removing the bulb A, then the current to the bulbs next to the battery are going to be less (since they should have the same current as the overall current going over them) and therefore they should be dimmer? I'm told they should be brighter.

phinds said:
That's an unhelpfully vague statement. WHERE would there be more or less of something and what would the effect be?

I was referring to overall current and resistance.

AdkinsJr said:
Right, and I still find that they are dimmer. If there's less current after removing the bulb A, then the current to the bulbs next to the battery are going to be less (since they should have the same current as the overall current going over them) and therefore they should be dimmer? I'm told they should be brighter.
I think they should be dimmer if they have less current. What about the other bulb not next to the battery?

So you said that before removing a bulb,

Rbefore = 10 + 10 + 5 = 25 ohms

After removing one,

Rafter = 10 + 10 + 10 = 30 ohms

What if the battery was 100 V. What would the current be through each bulb?
I'm particularly interested in the Before condition.

AdkinsJr said:
I was referring to overall current and resistance.
Yes, I assumed that your were, and I was making the point that that is not really all that helpful. What you need to do is be completely specific, and I see that you STILL are not doing that, just talking in generalities when you could in fact be solving for exact numerical values for everything in the circuit by assigning arbitrary values to the elements the way you started out doing and which you should have followed through with.

What are the safety precautions when removing a light bulb?

When removing a light bulb, make sure to turn off the power to the light fixture before starting. Use gloves or a cloth to protect your hands from the heat of the bulb and any broken glass. If the bulb is hard to remove, try using a pair of pliers. Always dispose of the old bulb properly and never touch the new bulb with bare hands.

How do I remove a broken light bulb?

If a light bulb breaks while trying to remove it, turn off the power to the light fixture and carefully remove any remaining pieces of glass. Use a potato or a rubber band to safely grip and twist out the broken base. Be sure to dispose of the broken bulb and any tools used in a safe manner.

What tools do I need to remove a light bulb?

The only tool you may need to remove a light bulb is a pair of pliers if the bulb is stuck. However, it is always a good idea to wear gloves or use a cloth to protect your hands from heat and broken glass. If you are replacing the bulb, be sure to have the correct size and type of new bulb on hand.

How often should I replace my light bulbs?

The frequency of light bulb replacements depends on several factors such as the type of bulb, its location, and how often it is used. On average, incandescent bulbs last about 1,000 hours, while LED bulbs can last up to 25,000 hours. It is recommended to replace bulbs every 1-2 years to ensure optimal lighting.

What should I do if the light bulb keeps burning out quickly?

If a light bulb is burning out quickly, it could be due to a higher wattage than what the fixture is designed for, a loose connection, or a faulty fixture. Check the wattage and make sure it matches the recommended wattage for the fixture. If the problem persists, it may be best to consult an electrician for further assistance.