Removing dummy variables from a model: singly or only as a group?

In summary, Seth is asking if it is worth dropping an individual dummy variable from a model when it is not statistically significant. He is also wondering why the most important test might not be a&g versus f&w.
wvguy8258
Hi,

I'm running a few generalized linear models. One of the predictors of interest is a categorical variable with 4 levels. I have this coded as 3 dummy variables, with one as a baseline that will influence the intercept (multicollinearity concerns prompt this, of course). I have not read a good treatment of the following: should you consider dropping an individual dummy variable from the model or only do so by the whole group (meaning all in or all out). The categorical variable here is land use/cover, the classes are forest, agriculture, grass, wetlands. Forest is the category not represented by a dummy variable. If agriculture and grass are statistically significant but wetland is not, then it seems the effect of removing wetland as a variable is to make forest/wetland now a single, baseline category. This has some intuitive appeal because the nonsignificant results indicates the possibility of no difference between forest and wetland as a predictor. So, in a sense, you are allowing the model results to inform how to modify the categorical variable from which the dummy variables are produced, in this case aggregating forest/wetland would be indicated. Am I missing something important here? Any literature recommendation that is related? Thanks, Seth

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be thinking that the differences {a, g, w} minus forest is more important than, say the difference a - g. Any particular reason why?

Before excluding anything I'd create a 4x4 matrix of all pairwise differences and try to see what's significant. Then you might consider joint F tests (e.g. Are x & y jointly significant when baseline is z?)

Hmm, I've never seen this suggested for dummy variables. Usually, the choice of a baseline is considered to be arbitrary or for reasons such as mine which is that forest is the most "natural" and common condition in this area (so it seems a natural baseline for comparison). I can perhaps see how the choice of a baseline might become more important when you are considering dropping individual dummy variables since the choice of baseline then dictates the possible class aggregations that the result from dropping variables.

EnumaElish said:
You must be thinking that the differences {a, g, w} minus forest is more important than, say the difference a - g. Any particular reason why?

Before excluding anything I'd create a 4x4 matrix of all pairwise differences and try to see what's significant. Then you might consider joint F tests (e.g. Are x & y jointly significant when baseline is z?)

So you are suggesting running the model 4 times, once per possible baseline category, and then see how significance and parameter estimates vary?

It's a 4x4 matrix, but it's symmetric, and its diagonal is zero, so you need 3 models (at most). What I'm trying to get at is, one, why worry about individual coefficients if the model is significant; two, what makes w vs. f special, while ignoring other differences; three, why not think in terms of sets of dummies; e.g. why isn't the most important test a&g jointly against f&w, or a&f vs. g&w (using an F test in each case). I'm throwing out these because, unlike, say a model measuring the separate effect of each level of education (primary-middle-high school, college, beyond) on income, your categories do not have an intrinsic ordering, unless maybe in terms of land vs. human input (wetlands = pristine, grassland = minimal labor, forest = moderate labor, agriculture = maximum labor).

Last edited:

Related to Removing dummy variables from a model: singly or only as a group?

1. What are dummy variables in a model?

Dummy variables are variables that represent categories or groups in a model. They are typically binary, meaning they take on values of either 0 or 1, and are used to represent qualitative data in a quantitative model.

2. Why do we need to remove dummy variables from a model?

Removing dummy variables from a model is important to avoid multicollinearity, which occurs when two or more independent variables are highly correlated. This can lead to inaccurate and unreliable results in the model.

3. Should dummy variables be removed singly or only as a group?

The decision to remove dummy variables singly or as a group depends on the specific model and the goals of the analysis. In general, it is recommended to remove dummy variables as a group to maintain the integrity of the model.

4. How do we decide which dummy variables to remove from a model?

The process of deciding which dummy variables to remove from a model is called variable selection. This involves using statistical techniques, such as stepwise regression or information criteria, to determine which variables are most important for predicting the outcome variable.

5. Are there any exceptions to removing dummy variables from a model?

There are some situations where it may be appropriate to keep dummy variables in a model, such as when they represent important and distinct subgroups in the data. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential effects of multicollinearity and consult with a statistician or data analyst before making this decision.