Removing thermocouple from stovetop

In summary, our gas burners have thermocouples so the gas turns off if the flame goes out. Our power burner has an undiagnosed issue that causes the gas supply to get cut off even if the flame is burning. We've replaced the thermocouple, cleaned the flame spreader, and unclogged the gas line. Research has revealed that thermocouples are a known bug in our secondhand stove top. At this point, I just want a burner that can heat up oil past 275oF, so I'm ready to take out the thermocouple and replace it with a plain ol' wire. Do you people think that will work?
mbrmbrg
Our gas burners have thermocouples so the gas turns off if the flame goes out. Our power burner has an undiagnosed issue that causes the gas supply to get cut off even if the flame is burning.

We've replaced the thermocouple, cleaned the (clean) flame spreader, and unclogged the (clear) gas line. Research has revealed that thermocouples are a known bug in our secondhand stove top.

At this point, I just want a burner that can heat up oil past 275oF, so I'm ready to take out the thermocouple and replace it with a plain ol' wire. Do you people think that will work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Continue troubleshooting until the problem is no longer undiagnosed, then take the appropriate measures to safely remedy it.

Answer the question "What's the worst that could happen?" by bypassing the thermocouple. In this case it is an increased potential of explosion and fire leading to fatalities.

Yeeeaaah... That's my husband's issue with my little solution. I say we've never blown up anything with any of our previous gas stoves that all lacked this feature, which is, admittedly, poor logic.

mbrmbrg said:
Yeeeaaah... That's my husband's issue with my little solution. I say we've never blown up anything with any of our previous gas stoves that all lacked this feature, which is, admittedly, poor logic.
While investigating a recent question about thermocouples I learned not all of the flame safety devices used in gas burners called thermocouples actually are. Rather, some are capillary thermostats, or another type of sensor.

Second, chances are good your previous gas stoves had flame sensors. The best timeline I've found so far is from a company that remanufactures gas valves for antique stoves - flame safety systems first appeared in the 1930's, and by the late 1950's, stoves without any flame safety systems were no longer in wide distribution.

If it is a capillary thermostat, like the flame-failure safety device on an old 'central heating' unit I used to wrangle, you MUST replace 'like for like'. It simply will not work otherwise.

On ours, you'd twist then hold in the small 'warm-up' knob, press the 'piezo' button to light the pilot, then wait while that heated the main burner unto 'READY', as defined by the sensor. This could take so long, I had to improvise a jig...

The people that did blow themselves up aren't around any more to warn you not to bypass the thermocouple.

Many burners create a ring of many individual flames one of which lines up with the thermocouple. If the burner is taken apart for cleaning it must be put back in the right position or the thermocouple might be "between flames".

Likes Asymptotic
Thank you all for your input! Good to know about thermocouples vs capillary thermostats.
I liked the idea of putting the burner back in the wrong position, because that's a super-easy fix. But our burners cleverly have two holes, one for the igniter and one for the thermocouple (unless it's a capillary thermostat!), so the flame spreader only fits on in one position.

I'll let you know what I end up doing...
(But you guys don't need to worry: there's no way my husband is going to let me risk blowing up our house and the people therein.)

mbrmbrg said:
(But you guys don't need to worry: there's no way my husband is going to let me risk blowing up our house and the people therein.)
We worry anyway. Please do not bypass this safety feature.

I doubt it's possible to defeat this safety feature.

mbrmbrg said:
I'm ready to take out the thermocouple and replace it with a plain ol' wire. Do you people think that will work?
It shouldn't... just plain ol' wire won't provide the same function as a thermocouple...
A thermocouple produces a temperature-dependent voltage as a result of the thermoelectric effect, and this voltage can be interpreted to measure temperature.
You probably know all that already, but other readers might not... :wink:

Good point. A plain wire will probably look like a cold thermocouple turning the gas off not on.

Likes OCR

1. How do I remove a thermocouple from a stovetop?

To remove a thermocouple from a stovetop, you will need to locate the thermocouple, which is usually located near the burner. Then, carefully unscrew the nut securing the thermocouple to the stovetop using a wrench or pliers. Once the nut is loosened, gently pull the thermocouple out of its housing.

2. Why would I need to remove a thermocouple from a stovetop?

A thermocouple is a safety device that senses the temperature of the pilot flame in a gas stove. If the thermocouple is malfunctioning, it may cause the gas supply to shut off, preventing the stove from heating properly. Removing the thermocouple allows for inspection or replacement if needed.

3. What tools do I need to remove a thermocouple from a stovetop?

The tools needed to remove a thermocouple from a stovetop may vary depending on the type of stove, but typically you will need a wrench or pliers to loosen the nut securing the thermocouple. Some stovetops may also require a screwdriver to remove any panels or covers.

4. Can I remove a thermocouple from a stovetop myself, or do I need a professional?

If you have experience working with stovetops and feel confident in your abilities, you can remove a thermocouple yourself. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable working with gas appliances, it is recommended to hire a professional to ensure the job is done safely and correctly.

5. How do I know if my thermocouple needs to be replaced?

If your stovetop is not heating properly or the pilot light keeps going out, it may be a sign that the thermocouple needs to be replaced. You can also test the thermocouple with a multimeter to check for continuity. If there is no continuity, the thermocouple is likely faulty and needs to be replaced.