Renewable Energy Prototype

In summary, the author is having trouble making a thesis about renewable energy. They proposed all of the common kinds of renewable energy there is, from solar, wind, thermal, to biomass, but still haven't gotten anything approved. The author is short on time and would appreciate suggestions for a thesis topic.
jemilyn
i am having problem on making my thesis about renewable energy. I proposed all of the common kinds of renewable energy there is from solar,wind,thermal to biomass but still got nothing approved. Could anyone here please suggest topics for my thesis.. i am really short of time. :frown:. really appreciate it.. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
jemilyn said:
i am having problem on making my thesis about renewable energy. I proposed all of the common kinds of renewable energy there is from solar,wind,thermal to biomass but still got nothing approved. Could anyone here please suggest topics for my thesis.. i am really short of time. :frown:. really appreciate it.. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

What level in school is this thesis/prototype for? Undergraduate senior college level project, or masters thesis, or higher?

And your title says "project", but your text asks about a thesis subject. Are you building what you are writing about?

Is a subject like "Energy Conservation via the Smart Grid" a possibility? Is conservation considered a renewable energy "source" for the purposes of this project?

oops, I'm sorry i was just so much in a hurry composing the post. Anyway, it is an undergraduate thesis with general topic of renewable energy. Our professor is not allowing us to make a prototype out of the common kinds of renewable energy. He wants us to make a complicated one. I tried the molten salt as solar thermal storage it did not worked with him.

also berkeman, I am an Electrical Engineering student graduating this year. I am finding it hard to come up with a good topic cause our professor is really demanding for a topic that is not common and somewhat complicated as what he said. He is also asking us to use a prototype for this research. Thanks for responding to my query.

Have you tried asking your professor the question that I asked above?

Is a subject like "Energy Conservation via the Smart Grid" a possibility? Is conservation considered a renewable energy "source" for the purposes of this project?

Many power utility companies consider energy conservation to be a form of energy, since conservation can replace the generation of new/extra energy. One of the goals of the Smart Grid is to help with energy conservation and distribution, as well as reducing peak demand (which helps to reduce the need to add more energy generation capability).

So if it might be a topic that would qualify, you would need to research the Smart Grid a bit, especially the features that support energy conservation and reduction of peak energy demand. It could be a very smart and compelling paper.

Thank you so much berkeman for this data. I am reading on Smart Grid and it is more inclined into forecasting climate in order to maximize the use of the source. I can integrate it to renewable energy but my professor is requesting for presence of prototypes. I just can't put my finger on how will I make that Smart Grid thing possible considering time-frame given to me which is two months and the cost this entire research will reach. I am lookin at Solar energy to be used in this research will this work? please do enlighten me. I believe I am missing something i just can't put my finger on it. Thank you so much :smile:

berkeman said:
Have you tried asking your professor the question that I asked above?

No I haven't. I am planning to make everything settled like my own questions about this before I present this to my professor. But I am so much interested into this topic there are just few things I need to figure out. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an Energy Program Manager in DC; if you want to find an interesting topic, spend some time on the Dept of Energy's website and get a better understanding of what some of the current topics are in the renewable energy space. Additionally, find out what your university is doing to become more sustainable, talk to the sustainability director and see what would be of interest to the school.
Eflat.

i hope i didnt come across snippy in last post,, which has been since deleted...

no offense meant - just wanted to suggest a friendly push back at professor and i worded it poorly.

DOE has a "Small Business Initiative" program
http://science.energy.gov/sbir/

i don't know if Eflat is in that part of DOE or not.
My dealings were with a Ms Feltus, a very nice lady.

explore that site and see what others are doing - with DOE's help.

see also awea.org
what area of counrty are you in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim,

I'm with the local government.

Geothermal energy developers plan to pump 24 million gallons of water into the side of a dormant volcano in Central Oregon this summer to demonstrate new technology they hope will give a boost to a green energy sector that has yet to live up to its promise.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=18868009&s_cid=rss-157

What is a renewable energy prototype?

A renewable energy prototype is a small-scale model or version of a renewable energy technology or system. It is used to test and demonstrate the feasibility, efficiency, and potential of the technology before it is implemented on a larger scale.

Why is it important to develop renewable energy prototypes?

Developing renewable energy prototypes allows for the testing and refinement of new technologies, which can lead to more efficient and cost-effective renewable energy solutions. It also helps to identify any potential issues or challenges that may arise when implementing the technology on a larger scale.

What are some common types of renewable energy prototypes?

Common types of renewable energy prototypes include solar panels, wind turbines, hydroelectric generators, and biofuel production systems. These prototypes can range from small-scale models to full-scale working systems.

How are renewable energy prototypes tested?

Renewable energy prototypes are typically tested in controlled environments, such as laboratories or test sites, to gather data on their performance and efficiency. This data is then analyzed to make improvements and modifications to the prototype before it is implemented on a larger scale.

What are the potential benefits of renewable energy prototypes?

Renewable energy prototypes have the potential to significantly reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, thus mitigating the effects of climate change. They also have the potential to create new jobs and stimulate economic growth in the renewable energy industry.