Renormalisation: what are the physical observables?

In summary: The pole mass is a theoretical prediction that depends on the energy scale and may differ from the physical mass, as in QED. The fact that a renormalized parameter runs with energy does not mean that it is not measurable, as demonstrated by the experimentally verified scaling of the fine-structure constant with energy.
"Don't panic!"
I'm trying to understand renormalisation properly, however, I've run into a few stumbling blocks. To set the scene, I've been reading Matthew Schwartz's "Quantum Field Theory & the Standard Model", in particular the section on mass renormalisation in QED. As I understand it, in order to tame the infinities arising from loop corrections to the tree level contributions, we interpret the bare mass ##m_{0}## in the original Lagrangian to be formally infinite. We then cancel the infinities arising in the loop corrections with the bare mass, order-by-order, in doing so, ending up with a renormalised mass ##m_{R}## and renormalised loop corrections. At the one-loop level, we have the self-energy contribution from the electron ##\Sigma_{2}(p)##. Upon using the modified minimal subtraction scheme to renormalise, we end up with $$m_{R}=m_{P}+\Sigma_{R}(m_{P})=m_{P}\left(1-\frac{\alpha}{4\pi}\left(5+3\text{ln}\frac{\mu^{2}}{m_{P}^{2}}\right)+\mathcal{O}(\alpha^{2})\right)$$ where ##\mu## is the renormalisation energy scale and ##\alpha =4\pi e^{2}## is the fine structure constant.
This is my first point of confusion. Which is the physical (i.e. experimentally measured) mass of the particle? I think it's the pole mass, but then the renormalised mass must depend on ##\mu##. So is this equation saying that ##m_{R}## runs with the energy scale, and so the theoretically predicated mass can in principle be much larger than the experimentally measured mass ##m_{P}## (I know in this case it can't be, because fermion masses are protected by chiral symmetry - the loop corrections are proportional to ##m_{P}## and so they are always small).

Secondly, and this is a major problem point for me. I've been told that the renormalised parameters of the theory must necessarily run with energy, in order for the physical observables, i.e. S-matrix elements, to be independent of the energy scale that we choose to measure them at. For example, this means that coupling constants must run with energy, in particular, the electric charge ##e## must scale with energy. However, we can measure the electric charge, so why is this allowed to scale with energy, whereas, S-matrix elements cannot? Also, why does the mass of a particle not scale with energy? The pole mass is fixed, and it's just the theoretical prediction for it that runs with energy, but the fine-structure constant (for example) scales with the energy of the interaction, and this has been experimentally verified.

Apologies is this is a garbled mess, but as you can probably see, I'm quite stuck on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Don't panic!" said:
coupling constants must run with energy, in particular, the electric charge ##e## must scale with energy. However, we can measure the electric charge, so why is this allowed to scale with energy
All renormalized coupling constants run with the energy parameter used in the renormalization scheme. The physical mass and charge are not coupling constants but observables used in the renormaization conditions fixing the parameters of the theory.

1. What is renormalisation in physics?

Renormalisation is a technique used in theoretical physics to account for the effects of quantum fluctuations on physical systems. It involves adjusting the parameters of a theory to account for these fluctuations and ensure that the theory accurately predicts measurable quantities.

2. Why is renormalisation important?

Renormalisation is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions about physical systems that involve quantum effects. Without renormalisation, the predictions of many quantum theories would be infinite or meaningless. Renormalisation also helps to unify different theories and make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena.

3. What are physical observables?

Physical observables are quantities that can be measured or observed in a physical system. These can include things like mass, energy, momentum, and other properties of particles or fields. In the context of renormalisation, physical observables are the quantities that are used to test the accuracy of a theory.

4. How does renormalisation work?

Renormalisation involves adjusting the parameters of a theory to account for quantum fluctuations. This is done by introducing a cut-off scale, which limits the range of energies that are considered in the theory. By adjusting the parameters at this scale, we can make predictions that are consistent with experimental results at lower energy scales.

5. Can renormalisation be applied to all physical theories?

No, renormalisation can only be applied to certain types of theories, specifically quantum field theories. These theories describe the behavior of particles and fields at a very small scale and involve quantum effects. Other types of theories, such as classical mechanics, do not require renormalisation as they do not involve quantum effects.