Repair Worn Shaft with Stick Welding - Advice Requested

• Thread starter BlackMelon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary: I would like to use Shielded Metal Arc Welding (a.k.a. Stick Welding) to fill some metal into the worn-out area. Then, I will do machining to cut the excessive metal out. However, somebody told me that if the temperature of the shaft is too hot, it will deform and not be able to fit in my fan.Could you post a picture of the damaged shaft?Here is the picture with dimensions and the worn-out area marked.SMAW, or any other traditional welding technique will not work, because you are depositing molten metal in a localized area, which will
BlackMelon
TL;DR Summary
I have a motor, whose shaft is worn-out. Please comment on my repair method.
Hello everyone,

I have a fan's induction motor, whose shaft is worn-out. I would like to use Shielded Metal Arc Welding (a.k.a. Stick Welding) to fill some metal into the worn-out area. Then, I will do machining to cut the excessive metal out. However, somebody told me that if the temperature of the shaft is too hot, it will deform and not be able to fit in my fan. I then Google about the forging temperature of a Carbon steel - 0.50% carbon content. Wiki said it is 1230 celcius. I should not go over 70% of 1230 celcius, which is 861. So, I would like to use some substance as an indicator that smokes at 861 celcius. Could you please suggest the substance that is cheap, available on marketplace, and easy to use?

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
BlackMelon said:
...I have a fan's induction motor, whose shaft is worn-out. I would like to use Shielded Metal Arc Welding (a.k.a. Stick Welding) to fill some metal into the worn-out area. Then, I will do machining to cut the excessive metal out. However, somebody told me that if the temperature of the shaft is too hot, it will deform and not be able to fit in my fan.
Could you post a picture of the damaged shaft?

Likes Spinnor
SMAW, or any other traditional welding technique will not work, because you are depositing molten metal in a localized area, which will cause distortion in the Heat Affected Zone. You are also unlikely to achieve the required shaft hardness to withstand further wear. However, there are many shops that can perform a spray metal deposition, which slowly deposits metal on the shaft while it rotates. This can then be machined to the final dimensions. You will also be able to better control the metal composition and hardness of the finished product. There are some interesting videos online about the process if you would like to know more.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd and Dullard
Hmm. I wrote tthis last night and forgot to click the 'Post reply' button... so here it is in support of the post by @The Fez.

In industrial-sized equipment, the usual fix is plasma spraying filler metal onto the damaged area, then machining to size. For small stuff it's probably cheaper to just replace it.

For medium sized, slower speed usage, like a 3 foot diameter centrifugal blower with a 1 inch shaft, there are slip-on ball bearings that attach to the worn shaft using a collar with three set screws. This allows precise, but tedious, centering at
very low cash outlay.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Spinnor
BlackMelon said:
I have a fan's induction motor, whose shaft is worn-out.
Until we know what part is worn out it is difficult to comment.
Will the armature survive the welding operation or will you have to press the shaft out of the armature?
Is this an industrial fan or a domestic fan?
Is the fan loose on the shaft?
How was the fan attached to the shaft, with a keyway or spline?
What type of shaft bearings, bush or ball, are they worn?
Are there dust seals that have worn the shaft?

Likes 256bits and Tom.G
I would never say something like this is out of the question since I have done it successfully. However, without any more details than we have been given, I can't say it is a guaranteed success either. Original shaft hardness may not be relevant if the damage was caused by another parts failure. The main issue will be preventing warpage of the shaft close to the weld but not where the weld will be machined. I have had this happen. It takes patience, a good press and a dial indicator to bring it back in.
-
As already mentioned, some pix would be nice.

Likes Tom.G and 256bits
I'm sorry for the late reply. Here are more details about my questions

Lnewqban said:
Could you post a picture of the damaged shaft?
Here is the picture with dimensions and the worn-out area marked.

The Fez said:
SMAW, or any other traditional welding technique will not work, because you are depositing molten metal in a localized area, which will cause distortion in the Heat Affected Zone... However, there are many shops that can perform a spray metal deposition, which slowly deposits metal on the shaft while it rotates.
First, if I use a current limitable inverter welder and do SMAW at the worn-out area in the picture at the lowest current limit (20A). How severe would the heat affect the rest of the shaft? Second, I have heard about the cold forging cream named Belzona for fixing this issue. However, the price is expensive. If there is no other way, then I have to buy it.

Tom.G said:
For medium sized, slower speed usage, like a 3 foot diameter centrifugal blower with a 1 inch shaft, there are slip-on ball bearings that attach to the worn shaft using a collar with three set screws. This allows precise, but tedious, centering at
very low cash outlay.

Cheers,
Tom

I would like to read more about this technique. Could you please give me links or keywords to search on Google?
Baluncore said:
Will the armature survive the welding operation or will you have to press the shaft out of the armature?
Is this an industrial fan or a domestic fan?
Is the fan loose on the shaft?
How was the fan attached to the shaft, with a keyway or spline?
What type of shaft bearings, bush or ball, are they worn?
Are there dust seals that have worn the shaft?

Thank you for these good questions.
1. I will press the shaft out of the armature.
2. This is a domestic fan.
3. No, the fan does not loose. The worn-out area on the shaft was inserted into a bush.
4. Just a pin. Not keyway nor spline. See the second picture below
5. Shaft bearings are bushes.
6. I will check this out.

Averagesupernova said:
As already mentioned, some pix would be nice.
Thank you. Please see the pictures below

Attachments

• Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 176
  • pins.png
    pins.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 340
So let me guess. That worn part of the shaft goes into a brass bushing. And the fan squeals when it is run correct? Do you know how much the shaft is worn? Chances are not much and if my above assumptions are correct, you need to replace the bushing, that's it. It is likely an oil impregnated bushing and in my experience when they squeal, the only option is to replace. If there is a little play between the new bushing and worn part of the shaft it will likely run quiet.

Likes Tom.G
Since that is a small motor, [ USER 455902 ]@anorlunda[ /USER ] Oops! @Averagesupernova in the above post has the most practical approach.

Another possibility:
Remove the sleeve and thoroughly soak and clean it in some warm lacquer thinner. You want to get the old oxidized and hardened oil out of it.
Then soak it in hot 50W motor oil, should be good for a few more years at least.

Tom.G said:
there are slip-on ball bearings that attach to the worn shaft using a collar with three set screws. This allows precise, but tedious, centering at
very low cash outlay.
BlackMelon said:
I would like to read more about this technique. Could you please give me links or keywords to search on Google?
I can't find the specific ones I used, it was over 50 years ago! However here is a somewhat similar one that will give you the general idea. The difference being the one I used had 3 set screws on the collar spaced 120° apart. That way you could get the centering correct regardless of uneven wear. I just walked into an industrial hardware store, told them the problem, and they brought the bearings out!

https://bearingsdirect.com/insert-b...urce=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6P3FiYzj7QIVqj6tBh20BAFmEAQYBCABEgKKJPD_BwE

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
BlackMelon said:
I have heard about the cold forging cream named Belzona for fixing this issue. However, the price is expensive.
JB Weld. . . maybe ?JB Weld - Practical Machinist

That is an easy problem to solve, once you know how.

I have used stainless steel sleeves to repair worn shafts on several occasions. There are sleeves available to fix shaft wear caused by lip seals that may work for your application. You may also be able to buy a stock shim sleeve to fit that shaft. Some hobby shops sell thin wall tube in various materials and sizes.
Google 'Shaft Repair Sleeve'

If the shaft wear is significant you can fill the cavity with a metal loaded epoxy as you press the sleeve into place.

A steel shaft wears when particles of hard grit becomes embedded in the softer bush material, so you will need to replace the bush, clean, and lubricate the bearing surfaces. The bush may need to be made slightly over-size to fit a repair sleeve.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Tom.G said:
Since that is a small motor, @anorlunda in the above post has the most practical approach
Don't you mean @Averagesupernova ?

Yup. o:)
Thanks!

1. What is stick welding?

Stick welding, also known as shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), is a welding process that uses an electric current to create an arc between a coated electrode and the metals being joined. The electrode melts to form a weld pool, which then cools and solidifies to create a strong bond between the metals.

2. Can stick welding be used to repair a worn shaft?

Yes, stick welding can be used to repair a worn shaft. The process involves building up the worn area with layers of weld metal, then machining it back to the original dimensions. This can restore the shaft's strength and functionality.

3. What are the advantages of using stick welding for shaft repair?

Stick welding is a versatile and cost-effective method for repairing worn shafts. It can be used on a variety of metals, including steel, stainless steel, and cast iron. It also requires minimal equipment and can be done in various positions, making it suitable for repairing shafts in tight or hard-to-reach spaces.

4. Are there any limitations to using stick welding for shaft repair?

While stick welding can be effective for repairing worn shafts, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for repairing shafts made of non-ferrous metals, such as aluminum or copper. Additionally, the repair may not be as precise as other welding methods, so it may not be suitable for highly precise or delicate shafts.

5. What precautions should be taken when using stick welding for shaft repair?

As with any welding process, safety precautions should be taken when using stick welding for shaft repair. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and a welding helmet, and ensuring proper ventilation in the workspace. It is also important to thoroughly clean and prepare the shaft before welding to ensure a strong bond and avoid any potential hazards.