Repeatability of necessity: number restrictions?

In summary, the schema 4 allows for repeatability of the unary ##\square## operator, but it can be limited to a certain number of occurrences.
nomadreid
Gold Member
The necessity quantifier (aka Provability quantifier, or ~◊~, or Belief, or... instead of the usual square I will be lazy and call it "N") is often allowed to be repeated as many (finite) times as one wishes, so NNNNNNψ is OK. Is it possible to somehow include into the axioms some restriction on the number of times it can be applied, or even for example outlawing an odd number of applications? My guess is that no, as one would need to have a sentence with too large a domain of the quantifier in the sentence, but I would like to see if my guess is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
The necessity quantifier (aka Provability quantifier, or ~◊~, or Belief, or... instead of the usual square I will be lazy and call it "N") is often allowed to be repeated as many (finite) times as one wishes, so NNNNNNψ is OK. Is it possible to somehow include into the axioms some restriction on the number of times it can be applied, or even for example outlawing an odd number of applications? My guess is that no, as one would need to have a sentence with too large a domain of the quantifier in the sentence, but I would like to see if my guess is correct.
In modal logic, the axiom schema that is typically used to allow repeatability of the unary ##\square## operator is, labelled as:

$$\mathbf{4}:\ \ \square p\to\square\square p$$

with the schema consisting of one axiom for every well-formed formula (wff) ##p##.

Using the standard labelling convention that is set out here, we get the logic S4, which is the version I have seen used most often, that adopts that axiom schema together with others (K, N, T).

The schema 4 allows unlimited numbers of ##\square## preceding a sub-wff in a wff.

If we wanted to limit the number of instances of ##\square## to say ##n##, all we'd need to do is replace 4 by a different axiom schema of the form:

$$\mathbf{4}^*:s\ p\to\square s\ p$$

with the schema only including cases where ##p## is a formula that does not commence with ##\square## and ##s## is a sequence of between 1 and ##n-1## squares.

Such an axiom schema would allow us to increase the number of squares prefixing a non-squared wff from 1 up to any number up to and including ##n##, but no further.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, Andrewkirk. That makes sense, and the idea can be extended to other types of restrictions. Very helpful.

1. What is the concept of "Repeatability of necessity: number restrictions?"

Repeatability of necessity refers to the idea that certain scientific findings or experiments can be replicated or repeated multiple times with consistent results. Number restrictions refer to the specific limitations or requirements for the number of times an experiment must be repeated in order to ensure the reliability and validity of the results.

2. Why is repeatability of necessity important in scientific research?

Repeatability of necessity is important because it allows for the verification of scientific findings and ensures that they are not a result of chance or error. It also allows for the identification of any discrepancies or inconsistencies in the results, which can lead to further investigations and improvements in the research design.

3. How do number restrictions impact the repeatability of scientific experiments?

Number restrictions determine the minimum number of times an experiment must be repeated in order to achieve a certain level of confidence in the results. These restrictions can vary depending on the type of experiment and the level of precision required. The more times an experiment is repeated, the higher the likelihood of obtaining consistent results and therefore, the higher the repeatability.

4. What are some potential challenges in achieving repeatability of necessity in scientific research?

Some challenges in achieving repeatability of necessity include the availability of resources and funding to conduct multiple repetitions of an experiment, the potential for human error in conducting the experiment, and the possibility of unforeseen variables or external factors that may affect the results. Additionally, the interpretation and reporting of results can also impact repeatability if not done accurately and objectively.

5. How can scientists ensure the repeatability of their research?

Scientists can ensure repeatability of their research by following standardized protocols and procedures, thoroughly documenting their methods and results, and openly sharing their data and findings for others to replicate. It is also important to conduct rigorous statistical analyses and consider potential sources of error in the experiment. Collaboration and peer review can also help to improve the repeatability of scientific research.