Replace the system of two forces and once couple by a Wrench

In summary, in this conversation, the person is looking for clarification on the question and help with solving the problem. They are trying to find the equivalent wrench for a system of forces and a couple, and they are having trouble finding the correct moment value and the location of the x and y coordinates for the wrench.
Northbysouth
*The title for this question is incorrect. I messed it up with another question. My apologies.

Homework Statement

Replace the system of two forces and one couple shown in Prob. 2/158 by a wrench. Determine the magnitude of the moment M of the wrench, the magnitude of the force R of the wrench, and the coordinates of the point P in the x-y plane through which the wrench passes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the magnitude of the resultant to be:

Rx = -49 kN
Ry = -35*sin(69.04) = -32.684
Rz = 35*cos(69.04)

R = 60.216 kN

I'm fairly sure that this value is correct but I am not sure

Then for the moment I got:

Mx = -35*cos(20.956)*1.8m + 35sin(20.956)(4.7m) = 0
My = 49*1.8m = 88.2 kNm
Mz -36 kNm

M = 95.264 kNm

But it says this answer is wrong.

From this point I am unsure how to find the location of the x and y coordinate

All help would be appreciated

Attachments

• statics hwk 10 2.168.png
    statics hwk 10 2.168.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,533
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Hello,

I apologize for the mistake in the title of this question. Can you please clarify what you are looking for in terms of a wrench? Are you trying to find the equivalent wrench that can replace the system of forces and couple shown in Prob. 2/158? If so, can you provide more information about the system and the wrench you are trying to find?

In terms of your attempt at solving the problem, your calculations for the resultant force seem correct. However, for the moment, it seems like you have mixed up the units for the distance and force. The units for moment are usually Nm or kNm, and the units for force are N or kN. So, your moment values should be in kNm as well. Additionally, you have only calculated the moment components in the x and y directions, but you need to also consider the z direction. The moment vector can be found by taking the cross product of the force and distance vectors. So, your final moment value should be a vector, not just a scalar value.

To find the location of the x and y coordinates, you can use the equations for moment equilibrium. Since the system is in equilibrium, the sum of all moments about any point should be equal to zero. So, you can choose a point (x,y) and set up equations for the moments in the x and y directions, and solve for the unknown coordinates.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

1. What is meant by "Replace the system of two forces and one couple by a Wrench"?

"Replace the system of two forces and one couple by a Wrench" is a method used in mechanics to simplify a system of forces acting on an object. It involves replacing the two forces and one couple with a single force called a wrench, which has the same effect on the object as the original system of forces.

2. How is a Wrench different from a force?

A Wrench is different from a force in that it not only has magnitude and direction, but also a rotational component. A wrench is a combination of a force and a couple, which means it has both a linear and a rotational effect on an object.

3. Why is it useful to replace two forces and one couple with a Wrench?

Replacing two forces and one couple with a Wrench can make it easier to analyze and solve problems involving complex systems of forces. It simplifies the calculation process and allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of the forces acting on an object.

4. Can any system of forces be replaced by a Wrench?

No, not every system of forces can be replaced by a Wrench. In order for a system of forces to be replaced by a Wrench, the forces must be parallel and coplanar, meaning they are in the same plane and have the same line of action. Additionally, the couple must be perpendicular to the plane of the forces.

5. How is a Wrench represented mathematically?

A Wrench can be represented mathematically as a vector with six components: three components for the force (Fx, Fy, Fz) and three components for the couple (Mx, My, Mz). Therefore, a Wrench can be written as [F,M], where F is the force vector and M is the moment vector. The unit of measurement for a Wrench is Newton-meters (N·m).