Replacing Aluminium windings for Motors with copper wires

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on using copper wire to re-wind a motor with defective aluminum windings. They have been given a table showing the diameter ratio between copper and aluminum wire and have been advised to use a slightly larger diameter copper wire without changing the number of turns in order to maintain important design factors. Additionally, the difference in coefficients of expansion and heat conductivity between copper and aluminum may cause issues with electrical terminations.
Electronic
Good Day,

I have defective Aluminium windings motor.

As you know Aluminium is very difficult to winding.

So, I want to use Copper wire to re-winding the motor.

How can I do that?

What size should I use and what will be the number of turns?

Someone told me that you can use Copper by reducing 15% from the sectional area of Aluminium wire.

Another one gave me this table:

[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2595/tablebf.jpg

Copper Diamet mm Aluminium Diameter mm
0.3 0.3795
0.35 0.44275
0.4 0.506
0.45 0.56925
0.5 0.6325
0.55 0.69575
0.6 0.759
0.65 0.82225
0.7 0.8855
0.75 0.94875
0.8 1.012
0.85 1.07525
0.9 1.1385
0.95 1.20175
1 1.265
1.05 1.32825
1.1 1.3915
1.15 1.45475
1.2 1.518
1.25 1.58125
1.3 1.6445

I need your advice, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This table shows that the aluminum to copper cross section area ratio should be 1.6:1

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book4/11e.htm

so the diameter ratio should be about 1.265:1, as per your table.

Bob S

Thank you

So, I can use that table without changing the number of turns.

Regards

Currently, I am using that table, and it is very good , no excessive heat.

You could probably improve the motor characteristics slightly by going to a slightly larger diameter copper wire, but if you change the number of turns, you will change both the coil inductance (important in ac motors) and the Tesla per amp. Also, in some ac induction motors (split phase), wire resistance is an important part of the design. Also, in some dc brush motors (shunt wound), wire resistance is important.

Bob S

Though I doubt it's relevant to this apparently one time fix:

Copper and aluminum have different coefficients of expansion and heat conductivity. Aluminum wiring when attached to electrical terminations not designed to accommodate the difference has been shown to cause electrical fires through on/off power cycling, causing the connection to loosen over time thus increasing resistance which accelerates the mechanical issue to the point of connection failure.

Related to Replacing Aluminium windings for Motors with copper wires

1. What are the benefits of replacing aluminium windings for motors with copper wires?

Copper wires have lower resistivity compared to aluminium, which means they can carry higher currents without overheating. This leads to improved motor efficiency and performance. Copper is also a more durable and reliable material, resulting in longer motor lifespan.

2. Is it a difficult process to replace the aluminium windings with copper wires?

The process of replacing aluminium windings with copper wires can be challenging and time-consuming, especially for larger motors. It requires specialized equipment and expertise to remove the old windings and install the new copper wires correctly. It is recommended to consult a professional for this task.

3. Can any type of motor be converted from aluminium windings to copper wires?

In most cases, yes. However, some motors may not be suitable for this conversion due to design limitations or cost-effectiveness. It is best to consult a motor expert to determine if your specific motor can be converted to copper windings.

4. Will replacing aluminium windings with copper wires increase the cost of the motor?

Yes, replacing aluminium windings with copper wires will likely increase the cost of the motor. Copper is a more expensive material compared to aluminium. However, the long-term benefits of improved efficiency and longer lifespan may outweigh the initial cost.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to replacing aluminium windings with copper wires?

One potential drawback of replacing aluminium windings with copper wires is the added weight. Copper is a denser material, so the motor may end up being heavier. This may not be an issue for smaller motors, but it can impact the overall performance of larger motors. Additionally, the increased cost of copper may also be a drawback for some companies.