Representations of the cyclic group of order n

In summary, the author is discussing how there can be many representations of a group, and one of these representations is given by a mapping ρ. This mapping doesn't have to be an isomorphism, just a homomorphism.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading James and Liebeck's book on Representations and Characters of Groups.

Exercise 1 of Chapter 3 reads as follows:

Let G be the cyclic group of order m, say G = < a : [itex] a^m = 1 [/itex] >.

Suppose that A [itex] \in GL(n \mathbb{C} ) [/itex], and define [itex] \rho : G \rightarrow GL(n \mathbb{C} ) [/itex] by

[itex] \rho : a^r \rightarrow A^r \ \ (0 \leq r \leq m-1 ) [/itex]

Show that [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation of G over [itex] \mathbb{C} [/itex] iff and only if [itex] A^m = I [/itex]

The solution given is as follows (functions are applied from the right)

Suppose [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation of G. Then

[itex] I = 1 \rho = ( a^m ) \rho = {(a \rho)}^m = A^m [/itex]

Conversely assume that [itex] A^m = I [/itex]. Then [itex] ( a^i ) \rho = A^i [/itex] for all integers i.

Therefore for all integers i, j

[itex] ( a^i a^j ) \rho \ = \ ( a^{i+j} ) \rho \ = \ A^{i+j} \ = \ A^i A^j \ = \ ( a^i \rho ) a^j \rho ) [/itex]

and so [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation.

===================================================================

That is all fine but I am just getting into representations and wish to get an intuitive understanding of what is happening.

In the above I am suprised that we have no explicit form for A.

Does this mean we have many representations for G in this case - that is any and every matrix A for which [itex] A^m = I [/itex]

Can someone please confirm this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I am reading James and Liebeck's book on Representations and Characters of Groups.

Exercise 1 of Chapter 3 reads as follows:

Let G be the cyclic group of order m, say G = < a : [itex] a^m = 1 [/itex] >.

Suppose that A [itex] \in GL(n \mathbb{C} ) [/itex], and define [itex] \rho : G \rightarrow GL(n \mathbb{C} ) [/itex] by

[itex] \rho : a^r \rightarrow A^r \ \ (0 \leq r \leq m-1 ) [/itex]

Show that [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation of G over [itex] \mathbb{C} [/itex] iff and only if [itex] A^m = I [/itex]

The solution given is as follows (functions are applied from the right)

Suppose [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation of G. Then

[itex] I = 1 \rho = ( a^m ) \rho = {(a \rho)}^m = A^m [/itex]

Conversely assume that [itex] A^m = I [/itex]. Then [itex] ( a^i ) \rho = A^i [/itex] for all integers i.

Therefore for all integers i, j

[itex] ( a^i a^j ) \rho \ = \ ( a^{i+j} ) \rho \ = \ A^{i+j} \ = \ A^i A^j \ = \ ( a^i \rho ) a^j \rho ) [/itex]

and so [itex] \rho [/itex] is a representation.

===================================================================

That is all fine but I am just getting into representations and wish to get an intuitive understanding of what is happening.

In the above I am suprised that we have no explicit form for A.

Does this mean we have many representations for G in this case - that is any and every matrix A for which [itex] A^m = I [/itex]

Can someone please confirm this?

well the matrix A isn't the representation, the mapping ρ is. and this mapping doesn't have to be an isomorphism, just a homomorphism. for example, ρ could be trivial, sending every element of G to the identity matrix. or, if m is even, ρ could send a generator of Cm to -I. more generally, with an nxn matrix, there can be many more m-th roots of the identity matrix than you can have in a field. so, yes, representations aren't unique.

Thanks

Just needed the confirmation before going onwards!

Thanks again

Related to Representations of the cyclic group of order n

What is a cyclic group of order n?

A cyclic group of order n is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that satisfies certain properties. It is generated by a single element that can be multiplied by itself to produce all other elements in the group. The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements it contains.

How are cyclic groups of order n represented?

Cyclic groups of order n can be represented in different ways, depending on the context. In abstract algebra, they are typically represented using the notation Cn. In computer science, they can be represented using arrays or matrices. In real-world applications, they can be represented using physical objects or symbols.

What are the properties of cyclic groups of order n?

Cyclic groups of order n have several important properties, including closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. These properties ensure that the operation within the group is well-defined and that it behaves in a predictable manner. In addition, cyclic groups are commutative, meaning that the order of multiplication does not affect the result.

How are cyclic groups of order n used in mathematics?

Cyclic groups of order n have many applications in mathematics, including number theory, group theory, and abstract algebra. They are also used in cryptography, where they play a crucial role in creating secure encryption algorithms. Additionally, they are used in physics and chemistry to describe the symmetries of molecules and crystals.

What is the significance of the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is an important property that determines the size and structure of the group. It also has implications for the elements and subgroups within the group. For example, the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the larger group. Additionally, the order of a cyclic group can tell us about its properties, such as whether it is abelian or not.