Representing sums as sigma notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of writing a summation using sigma notation and finding a general term for a sequence. It is mentioned that there is no general algorithm for finding a useful general term for arbitrary sequences, but there are methods such as curve fitting and interpolation that can be used. The type of algorithm used and the type of terms in the sequence can affect the ability to find an algebraic formula for the terms.
bluejay27
Hi is there a way or algorithm to find the sigma notation of sums in which the sums do not have an apparent general form?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
bluejay27 said:
Hi is there a way or algorithm to find the sigma notation of sums in which the sums do not have an apparent general form?
To write a summation using sigma notation, you need an expression that represents the general term being added. If you don't know the general term, you're out of luck in writing a summation.

How about if I already have the sum and have to find the general term from it. For example, if the terms are alternating in + and -, we would have to use (-1)^n. I am struggling in finding a way to generalize the constants that are in the terms. For example if all the terms would have a 5, the general term would have a 5. If the terms are going in the progression of 1, 5, 25, and 125, the general term would have a 5^n for Maclaurin series. But these are the easier cases, I am struggling in finding the general terms for other sequences... Is there a book that will help me explain this? That directly tackles finding the general expression from the terms?

There is no general algorithm to make a useful general term for arbitrary sequences. You can always find expressions (e. g. a polynomial of suitable order), but that doesn't make them useful.

As an example, 1, 5, 25, 125 is also reproduced by ##a_n = \frac {32}{3} n^3 - 56 n^2 + \frac{292}{3} n -51##. Does that make sense or help in any way? Not really. But it fits.

bluejay27 said:
I am struggling in finding the general terms for other sequences... Is there a book that will help me explain this? That directly tackles finding the general expression from the terms?

If you have a finite number of terms, there are infinitely many different formulae that will produce those finite number of terms. So, to have a well-posed mathematical problem, you have to be more specific about the type of formulae that you will consider (e.g. polynomials versus rational functions versus transcendental functions).

A squence can be considered as a special case of (x,y) data where x = the index of the term. (e.g the sequence 2, 7, 0, -3,... and be considered as (1,2) (2,7) (3,0) (4,-3),... ) Under the topic of "curve fitting" or "interpolation" you can look up methods to fit functions to curves so they pass exactly through some given (x,y) points. For example, if you want to fit a polynomial to such a sequence, you can study the lagrange interpolating polynomial ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LagrangeInterpolatingPolynomial.html )If you have an algorithm for generating an arbitrary finite number of terms then what is mathematically known about finding a algebraic formulae that produces those terms depends on the type of algorithm. For example, in the particular case that the algorithm is a recursion like ## y_{n+2} = 1 - 2y_{n+1} + y_{n} ## you can study recursion relations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurrence_relation which are treated in books on the "Calculus Of Finite Differences" or "Difference Equations" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486650847/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

There can be types of algorithms where no simple algebraic formulas for reproducing their terms is known - and perhaps cases where no simple algebraic formulae exist. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture ).

Last edited by a moderator:
bluejay27 said:
the sigma notation of sums in which the sums do not have an apparent general form?

I'm interpreting you question to mean "where the n-th term of the sequence" does not have an apparent general form.

Are you asking, instead, about how to find general formula for the the sum of n-terms of a sequence when you do know the formula for a term ?

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand used to represent a sum of terms. It involves the use of the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and an index variable to indicate the range of values to be summed.

2. How do I write a sum using sigma notation?

To write a sum using sigma notation, first determine the starting value of the index variable, the ending value, and the expression to be summed. Then, write the Greek letter sigma followed by the index variable, an equals sign, the starting value, and the expression in terms of the index variable. Finally, add a subscript with the ending value below the sigma symbol.

3. What are the benefits of using sigma notation?

Sigma notation allows for a compact and efficient representation of sums, making it easier to perform calculations and spot patterns. It also helps to generalize expressions and make them applicable to a wider range of values.

4. Can sigma notation be used for more complex sums?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for sums with multiple terms, nested sums, and sums with changing intervals. It is a versatile notation that can handle a variety of mathematical expressions.

5. How is sigma notation related to sequences and series?

Sigma notation is commonly used to represent sequences and series, which are lists of numbers that follow a specific pattern. It allows for a concise representation of the terms in a sequence or series, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.