Where Can I Find the Textbook Reference for Hamiltonian Systems with Equal Orbit Periods?

In summary: Suppose that ##H## is a Hamiltonian system with ##n## degrees of freedom. Suppose that all of its orbits are closed. Suppose that all the orbits have the same period. Then the energy of the system is the sum of the energies of the individual orbits.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
There is a nice fact. It approximately sounds like that: Let ##H=H(p,q)## be a Hamiltonian system with ##n## degrees of freedom such that all its orbits are closed. Then the periods of all the orbits belonging to the same energy level are the same.

Please which textbook does contain this? I know the proof I need only reference

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this a direct consequence of the Hamilton Jacobi partial differential equation? Then one can quote any textbook treating the HJPDE.

I need to think my proof does not refer the Hamilton Jacobi partial differential equation

Well, if you have an own proof, why do you need a reference? It's hard to give a reference for a proof, you haven't shown to me ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Well, if you have an own proof, why do you need a reference?
because I do not want to enlarge the volume of my text by rewriting of well-known things
And I have no idea how to employ the Hamilton Jacobi eq. which is local in its nature

Would a textbook with a decent treatment of action-angle variables be enough? I assume the proof is along those lines given the reliance on closed orbits.

wrobel said:
because I do not want to enlarge the volume of my text by rewriting of well-known things
And I have no idea how to employ the Hamilton Jacobi eq. which is local in its nature
Then I don't understand what you want to prove.

Haborix said:
Would a textbook with a decent treatment of action-angle variables be enough? I assume the proof is along those lines given the reliance on closed orbits.
I think the existence of the action-angle variables needs to be proved first
I just actually asked for a reference I did not have an intention to organize a challenge :)

Thank you everybody.

Last edited:
I couldn't recall anything framed in the way you put it, so I was hoping it might be a corollary of a theorem more common. I think the theorem you describe is part of an exercise in "Foundations of Mechanics" by Abraham and Marsden. It is problem 5.2G on p. 401 in the second edition.

Likes vanhees71 and wrobel
Great! this is called "period-energy" relation. p. 198 That is exactly what I asked for. thanks a lot

Likes vanhees71
Haborix said:
It is problem 5.2G
solution to the problem:

Attachments

• period_energy.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 140
Likes Haborix and vanhees71

1. What is a request for a reference?

A request for a reference is a formal inquiry made by an individual to a previous employer, colleague, or professor asking for their opinion and evaluation of the individual's skills, qualifications, and character.

2. Why do I need a reference?

Employers often request references to gain a better understanding of an individual's work ethic, abilities, and past experiences. References can also provide credibility and support to an individual's job application.

3. Who should I ask for a reference?

You should ask individuals who have worked closely with you and can speak positively about your skills and character. This can include previous managers, supervisors, colleagues, or professors.

4. How should I request a reference?

You should make a formal request either in person or through email. Be sure to provide the individual with enough information about the position or opportunity you are applying for, and give them ample time to write the reference.

5. What should I do if I don't have any professional references?

If you do not have any professional references, you can ask for references from volunteer work, internships, or academic projects. You can also ask for personal references from mentors, coaches, or community leaders who can speak to your character and work ethic.