Requesting Help Regarding the Cause of the Faraday Effect

In summary, the Faraday effect is the change in polarization angle of a linearly polarized wave in an electric field. It is caused by the difference in dielectric constant for left and right circularly polarized light, resulting in a difference in speed for these two types of light. This leads to a rotation of the polarization angle as the wave passes through the medium.
Archeon
Hey everyone,

I seek help regarding the Faraday-effect (change of the polarization angle of a linearly polarized wave in an electric field). I have asked my professor about the topic and learned a lot, but I think I am still lacking one or some crucial points. Here is how I understand the cause of the effect to date, mind that I might have misheard some of the thing I've been told:

A linearly polarized wave traveling parallel to a magnetic field can be written as the superposition of ##\sigma^+## and ##\sigma^- ## parts. These can be seen as transitions in the energy level diagram of the medium the wave is passing through, with the added constraint that the magnetic quantum number ## m ## must change by ## +1 ## for ## \sigma^+## and ## -1 ## for ##\sigma^-## . The wave parts do not have enough energy for this transition, yet they still experience some "absorption" based on how close to the energy level they are. This effectively causes the wave to travel slower the narrower the gap to the next state is. When a magnetic field is present, the Zeeman effect alters the excited states differently. The gaps for ##\sigma^+## and ##\sigma^- ## are of different height, thus they travel at different speeds, which in turn causes a change in the angle of polarization.

But what is meant by this absorption effect that causes the slowdown, and what does it have to do with absorption? And how does this explain that the effect is not inversed when the wave is traveling in the opposite direction?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Faraday effect is not because of absorption. It is because, in the presence of the magnetic field, the dielectric constant of the material is slightly different for left circularly polarized (LCP) and right circularly polarized (RCP) light. This gives rise to different speeds of LCP and RCP light. when you combine them to get linearly polarized light, you find that the direction of polarization rotates as the beam passes through the medium. The math for this is shown, for example, at: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node101.html.

Likes berkeman

What is the Faraday Effect and how does it work?

The Faraday Effect is a phenomenon in which the polarization of light passing through a material is rotated in the presence of a magnetic field. This effect occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the material, causing a change in the orientation of the electrons and thus changing the polarization of the light.

What are the possible causes of the Faraday Effect?

The Faraday Effect can be caused by a variety of factors, including the presence of a magnetic field, the type of material the light is passing through, and the wavelength of the light. It can also be influenced by the temperature and pressure of the material.

How is the Faraday Effect measured and quantified?

The Faraday Effect can be measured using a device called a polarimeter, which measures the angle of rotation of the polarized light. The amount of rotation is typically quantified using a unit called the Faraday rotation angle, which is measured in degrees or radians.

What are the practical applications of the Faraday Effect?

The Faraday Effect has several practical applications, including in optical communication systems, where it is used to modulate and transmit information. It is also used in devices such as optical isolators, which only allow light to pass through in one direction, and in magneto-optic memories for data storage.

What steps can be taken to request help regarding the cause of the Faraday Effect?

If you are experiencing issues with the Faraday Effect and need help identifying the cause, you can reach out to an experienced scientist or research team for assistance. Be prepared to provide detailed information about the materials, magnetic field, and experimental setup being used, as well as any relevant data or measurements. Collaborating with others and conducting further experiments may also be helpful in determining the cause of the Faraday Effect in your particular situation.