Requesting recommendations for specialized journal for....

In summary, the physicist is looking for a more specialized journal to publish his paper on a special case of the Navier-Stokes equation, but was rejected by Physics Review Letters because it was too specialized and because he used Word Count in MS Word to count 1 formula=1 word.
nomadreid
Gold Member
A physicist I know is looking to publish a paper on a special case of the Navier-Stokes equation; he submitted it to Physics Review Letters, who rejected it for two reasons: (1) it was too specialized, so not suitable for the broad readership that PRL targets, and (2) the physicist had made used MS Word's Word Count feature, which counts 1 formula=1 word, whereas PRL has a more restrictive equivalence that put the calculation over the top for PRL's article limit. The second reason is not so problematic, but he does not know where to submit the article for a more specialized target audience. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
My usual take on inquiries like this:
If he does not already know what the main journals in the field are, how does he know that what he has done is original and relevant? The only way to know that is to follow the field closely and that would entail keeping up with the current literature.

Likes nomadreid
Well said, Orodruin. In this case, looking at his references, except for the ones that quote papers written or co-authored by himself in Russian journals, the most recent reference is from 2015. A problem is that he has worked and published all his life in Russia, and recently emigrated to the West -- from his references it is clear that he is familiar with a few of the Western journals, such as The Physical Review journals, Phys.Fluids, J. Fluid Mechanics, and PhysicaD, but he has never published in these, and is wondering where to start. He started with PRL, but that was a bad choice for the reasons mentioned. He then tried Phys. Fluids, but he made some mistake in submission (something about submitting his earlier draft which he had also put on ArXiv and not updated, I'm not sure), and was , in his words, rejected without the right to appeal. So, next?

1. What is the purpose of requesting recommendations for a specialized journal?

The purpose of requesting recommendations for a specialized journal is to find the most suitable and credible publication for your research topic. This can help increase the visibility and impact of your work, as well as ensure that it is reaching the appropriate audience.

2. How do I go about requesting recommendations for a specialized journal?

To request recommendations for a specialized journal, you can start by reaching out to your colleagues, mentors, or other researchers in your field. You can also search online for academic forums or discussion groups related to your research topic, where you can ask for suggestions from fellow researchers.

3. What factors should I consider when requesting recommendations for a specialized journal?

When requesting recommendations for a specialized journal, it is important to consider the scope and focus of the journal, its impact factor and ranking, the review process, and the target audience. You should also consider the journal's open access policies and publication fees, if any.

4. Is it necessary to request recommendations for a specialized journal?

While it is not necessary to request recommendations for a specialized journal, it can be beneficial in helping you find the most appropriate publication for your research. It can also provide valuable insights and suggestions from other researchers in your field.

5. Can I request recommendations for a specialized journal after my research has been completed?

Yes, you can request recommendations for a specialized journal at any stage of your research, even after it has been completed. This can be helpful if you are looking to publish your findings in a different journal or if you want to explore other publication options.