Rescuing a Sour Soup: Tips and Tricks for Fixing a Culinary Mishap

• Thread starter Irish Guy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a cooking problem where a large pot of vegetable soup has been left for two days and has developed mould. The individual is seeking advice on how to rescue the soup, but it is advised to throw it out as the sour taste indicates it has gone bad and could potentially contain harmful bacteria and mould. The mention of a sour soup recipe using lactobacillus as a natural preservative is brought up, but it is still recommended to dispose of the soup due to the uncontrolled process used.
Irish Guy
Thank you for the welcome. I was looking for an answer for a cooking problem and found an answer that did not quite fit.
I made a huge amount of vegetable soup, kept boiling it some of it stuck to the bottom changed pots left it for two days, some mould formed on the top sides removed the mould blended the vegetables and after tasting it tastes a bit sour. Any idea why and what can I do to rescue the big pot of soup.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you are used to eating, but it sounds like the soup has gone bad, no telling what kind of nasty bacteria could have grown, not to mention the mould that is in there. I would not eat it. Throw it out.

A sour taste is usually associated with acidity.
The bacteria and moulds Evo mentioned often excrete organic acids as a food breakdown product.
While eating 'gone off' food isn't usually lethal, it's definitely not healthy, could easily produce indigestion or worse, such as diarrhea.

Coincidentally, we went to a Polish restaurant over the weekend with friends, and while researching the place, I came across recipes for a sour soup. The process is similar to the process for souring some beers, like Berliner Weisse. Some grain is left in water to sour for several days. Grain is full of lactobacillus, which produces lactic acid, which protects it from other bacteria and mold that might be bad for us.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=221326

But since you did not use a controlled, documented process, I'd toss it. Lactic acid = nice bright and tangy, mold could be bad.

What makes a soup taste sour?

A soup can taste sour due to a variety of reasons, including the use of sour ingredients such as vinegar or lemon juice, overripe vegetables, or the addition of fermented products like yogurt or sour cream.

How can I fix a soup that is too sour?

If your soup is too sour, you can try balancing out the acidity by adding a pinch of sugar or a splash of cream. You can also add more broth or water to dilute the sour taste.

Can I fix a soup that has gone bad?

If your soup has gone bad, it is not recommended to try and fix it. Consuming spoiled food can lead to food poisoning and other health issues. It is best to discard the soup and make a fresh batch.

What herbs or spices can I add to reduce the sourness?

Acidic ingredients like vinegar or lemon juice can be balanced out by adding herbs and spices that have a natural sweetness, such as basil, thyme, or oregano. You can also try adding a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg to help neutralize the sour taste.

How can I prevent a soup from becoming too sour?

To prevent a soup from becoming too sour, be mindful of the ingredients you are using. If a recipe calls for vinegar or lemon juice, start with a small amount and adjust to taste. You can also use fresh, ripe vegetables and avoid using expired or fermented products in your soup.