Research in Fluid Mechanics for MS

In summary, the conversation discusses the prospects of pursuing a masters in fluid mechanics and aerospace engineering. The speaker advises that there are still many unsolved problems in this field and it should not be difficult to find a research topic. However, the field also requires advanced knowledge of partial differential equations and computer programming. The possibility of becoming a tech entrepreneur in this field is low without a PhD in mathematics or physics. The speaker suggests that the field is more focused on fundamental research and industrial skills rather than entrepreneurship.
Ritwik Kulkarni
Hi Everyone,

I am currently doing undergraduate program in mechanical engineering. I want to pursue masters after my B.Tech in the field of fluid mechanics and aerospace engineering.I want to know about the prospects of this field in the future research.

Thanks in advance,

Ritwik Kulkarni

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many problems of engineering interest yet to be solved in fluid mechanics. You should not have difficulty finding a problem to work on.

I would first ask, how comfortable are you with advanced partial differential equations and computer programming? There some interesting problems left to research but these are often concerned with developing faster numerical methods to solve a particular type of problem. As far as the engineering aspect of fluid mechanics is concerned, you would probably just be learning how to use various types of modelling programs like comsol.

I am good with partial differential equations but not the programming part. To be honest, I want to be a tech entrepreneur and want to do something breakthrough in this field. How probable is that and how should I continue further ?

Ritwik Kulkarni said:
To be honest, I want to be a tech entrepreneur and want to do something breakthrough in this field. How probable is that and how should I continue further ?
If your goal is to design new methods of solving these equations, then you will probably need a PhD in Mathematics and/or Physics to have the proper background. Without this, your chances of making any progress in this field is very low.

NFuller said:
If your goal is to design new methods of solving these equations, then you will probably need a PhD in Mathematics and/or Physics to have the proper background. Without this, your chances of making any progress in this field is very low.
You can get a PhD in engineering and do this too.

I am still in a catch 22 situation where I am not able to decide whether to continue in the fluid mechanics or switch to aerospace department for doing MS.

Moreover, I am not able to see how this can be a tech entrepreneur in this field ?

It's more of a fundamental research field/industrial skill than an entrepreneur's field. You could conceivably start a company which uses some new mathematical methods (maybe radically new, such as machine learning) but there are already many top tier companies (e.g. comsol) that have the market cornered.

1. What is fluid mechanics research?

Fluid mechanics research is a field of study that focuses on the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) and their interactions with forces and structures. It aims to understand the fundamental principles and equations governing fluid motion, as well as to develop practical applications in engineering and other fields.

2. What are some current areas of research in fluid mechanics for MS?

Some current areas of research in fluid mechanics for MS include turbulence, multiphase flows, fluid-structure interactions, and computational fluid dynamics. Other emerging areas of interest include biofluid mechanics, microfluidics, and renewable energy applications.

3. How is fluid mechanics research relevant to industry?

Fluid mechanics research has numerous practical applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and biomedical sectors. It helps to improve the design and performance of vehicles, machines, and structures, as well as to develop new technologies for energy production, pollution control, and medical treatments.

4. What skills and knowledge are required for conducting research in fluid mechanics for MS?

To conduct research in fluid mechanics for MS, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Additionally, skills in experimental techniques, numerical modeling, and data analysis are essential. Familiarity with relevant software tools and programming languages is also beneficial.

5. What are some potential career options for individuals with a MS degree in fluid mechanics?

Individuals with a MS degree in fluid mechanics can pursue various careers in academia, research institutions, and industries. Some common job titles include research scientist, fluid dynamics engineer, computational fluid dynamics analyst, and design engineer. They can also work in fields such as aerospace, energy, environmental engineering, and biotechnology.