Researching Biefeld-Brown Effect: Finding Metal Foil Sources

• Thread starter Aleakim
  • Start date
In summary, a high school student is conducting a science fair project on the Biefeld-Brown effect and is looking for different types of metal foil to use for the experiment. However, they are facing difficulties in acquiring the materials and have reached out to various metal companies without success. They are seeking help and suggestions for obtaining the necessary materials and for writing an essay about their project. As a scientist, I offer my help and suggest alternative sources for acquiring the materials, as well as recommendations for researching and communicating their project effectively. I also express my support for their project and encourage them to continue pursuing their passion for science.
Aleakim
o__o

I'm doing a science fair project to research which type of metal foil is 'best' to use the Biefeld-Brown effect on, looking at the consistency and height with which it is lifted off the ground.

And no one will sell me these metals. A high school student is not allowed to be looking into buying pieces of silver, osmium, and zinc foils. It's just too ridiculous, apparently. So my help is a strange kind of help.

I do not need any set type of metal. Silver, gold, or osmium would be wonderful, but not necessary. I simply need five different types of metal. One sheet of foil for each type of metal (five sheets per metal is preferable, but seeing as I have not found any of them, I will settle for one sheet) at 2.5" by 5". Any bendable gauge will work, as long as all metals are of the same gauge.

I have contacted every single metal company on this list
http://metals.about.com/od/foil/Foil_Suppliers.htm
by email or by phone. Two of them have responded. One told me 'no' - They sell only in bulk quantities and can't spare me any, apparently. The other told me no after I asked about prices for silver, and hung up when I tried to explain that it wasn't necessary that I have silver.

First help:
I understand how to produce the effect, but now I've got to write an essay about 'everything known about your project, and why what you are doing is new for it's research.' Here are the websites I've used when trying to understand the effect:

http://montalk.net/science/84/the-biefeld-brown-effect
http://www.qualight.com/portal.htm/brown/
http://jnaudin.free.fr/index.htm
http://www.blazelabs.com/index.htm
http://arxiv.org/
-This website-

Second help:
Anyone have a place where I could buy this foil, or have any helpful ideas for getting people to take me seriously? (I tried getting my dad to talk to them. Does not work - he starts yelling.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am intrigued by your science fair project on the Biefeld-Brown effect and your research into the best type of metal foil to use for this phenomenon. It is unfortunate that you are facing difficulties in acquiring the necessary materials for your project. I can understand your frustration and am here to offer my help and suggestions.

Firstly, let me assure you that your project is a valid and interesting research topic. The Biefeld-Brown effect is a well-documented phenomenon and there is still much to be explored and understood about it. Your project can contribute to the existing knowledge and potentially even lead to new discoveries.

Now, to address your first help request, I would suggest looking into alternative sources for acquiring the different types of metal foil. Have you considered checking with local universities or research institutions? They may have the materials you need and could potentially provide them to you at a reasonable cost or even for free. You could also try reaching out to online forums or communities dedicated to science and research, as there may be individuals who are willing to help by providing you with the necessary materials or guiding you to potential sources.

As for your essay, I recommend thoroughly researching the Biefeld-Brown effect and its history, including previous experiments and their results. This will help you understand the significance of your project and how it contributes to the existing body of knowledge. Additionally, you can discuss the potential applications of this effect and how your project could lead to further advancements in the field.

For your second help request, I would suggest trying to approach metal companies in person rather than through email or phone. This may help you convey the seriousness of your project and the importance of your need for the materials. You could also try explaining your project to a science teacher or mentor who may be able to help you communicate with the companies more effectively.

In conclusion, I hope my suggestions are helpful in overcoming the challenges you are facing in your project. I find it inspiring to see young individuals like yourself taking an interest in scientific research and I wish you all the best in your project. Keep exploring and never give up on your passion for science.

Scientist in the field of [Your field of expertise]

1. What is the Biefeld-Brown Effect?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect is a phenomenon where a high voltage electrical charge is applied to a metal foil and it experiences a net force in the direction from the positive to the negative electrode.

2. How is the Biefeld-Brown Effect relevant to research?

The Biefeld-Brown Effect has potential applications in propulsion and energy generation, making it a topic of interest for scientific research.

3. Why is finding metal foil sources important for researching the Biefeld-Brown Effect?

Finding high quality metal foil sources is crucial for accurately replicating and studying the Biefeld-Brown Effect. The type and quality of the metal foil used can significantly affect the results of the experiment.

4. What types of metal foil are commonly used in Biefeld-Brown Effect research?

Aluminum, copper, and tin are commonly used in Biefeld-Brown Effect research due to their high conductivity and malleability.

5. Where can I find reliable sources for metal foil for Biefeld-Brown Effect research?

Sources for metal foil can be found at hardware stores or online retailers specializing in scientific equipment. It is important to ensure that the metal foil is of high quality and free from impurities that could affect the results of the experiment.