Residues for a Complex Analysis Noob

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the residue of (1-cos wt)/w^2, which has a second order pole at w=0. One method is to use a formula involving limits, but there is an easier way to find the residue by looking for the polynomial term with a power of -1. In this case, the residue is found to be -t. The concept of a removable singularity is also mentioned and how it relates to the residue.
Master J
I need to calculate the residue of

( 1 - cos wt ) / w^2

This has a pole of second order at w=0, am I correct?

Now may math book says that a second order residue is given by

limit z goes to z_0 of {[(z-z_0)^2. f(z)]'} where z_0 is the pole

I'm quite new to complex analysis. Could someone perhaps show me how this relates to the above, and how I get the residue from this?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The residue is defined as being 'b' in the b/(w-a) term in a Laurent series so to find the residue you simply look for functions that look like b/(w-a) or in your case b/w, where b is just some constant that is the residue.

You could computer the residue using your formula, however that appears to be ugly and complicated.

However there is an easier way to find that residue. You're only looking for the polynomial term with a power of -1. Now if we expand out you're function we get:

[tex]\frac{1}{w^2} - \frac{cos(wt)}{w^2}[/tex]

1/w^2 is all ready in polynomial form. There is NO 1/w dependence in this part, so you can conclude that 1 is not a residue. What about cos(wt)? Well we can write that as an infinite series of polynomial terms and then divide by w^2 and see what the coefficient of the 1/w term is. Right?

(1-cos (wt))/w^2 has a removable singularity at w=0, not a pole.

Are a pole and a singularity no the same thing?

So the term of power -1 is -t/w, so -t is the residue??

Then, if the integral is 2. pi. i SUM Res( f(z) )

my answer is -2. pi. i t ?

Last edited:
Master J said:
If I expand it out, there is no 1/w term...??

Are a pole and a singularity not the same thing?

There's no 1/w term? So what is the coefficient?

I believe a removable singularity can be expanded around the undefined point such that the function can be defined as continuous. Anyways if you can prove that your singularity is removable you can prove that the residue is 0.

Master J said:
Are a pole and a singularity no the same thing?

A pole is one type of singularity, a removable singularity is a different type. As Feldoh says, a removable singularity is one where the function can be defined at the singularity in such a way that it remains continuous (and indeed, analytic).

I'm not sure how you're getting -t/w in the expansion. In an earlier version of your post (the one quoted by Feldoh), you apparently wrote that there is no 1/w term, which is correct. So the coefficient of that term is zero.

Related to Residues for a Complex Analysis Noob

1. What are residues in complex analysis?

Residues are the values of functions at singular points, or points where the function is not analytic. They are used to calculate the values of complex integrals and can provide important information about the behavior of a function.

2. How are residues calculated?

To calculate the residue at a singular point, we use the formula Res(f, z0) = limz→z0 [(z-z0)f(z)]. This involves taking the limit of the product of the function and the difference between the variable z and the singular point z0.

3. Why are residues important in complex analysis?

Residues play a crucial role in calculating complex integrals, which are used in various areas of physics and engineering. They also give us information about the behavior of a function at singular points, which can help us understand the overall behavior of a function.

4. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem states that the value of a complex integral around a simple closed curve is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues inside the curve. This theorem is a powerful tool in calculating complex integrals and can be used to simplify the integration process.

5. How can I find the residues of a function graphically?

To find the residues of a function graphically, you can plot the function and observe the behavior near the singular points. The residue at a simple pole can be found by taking the limit of the function as the variable approaches the pole. For higher order poles, the residue can be found by taking the appropriate derivative of the function.