Resistance and the length of the wire

In summary, doubling the length of a wire also doubles the resistance and weakens the electric field by two times, leading to a decrease in the current. However, resistance is not solely determined by the material, but also by the weakening of the electric field. When the cross sectional area of a cylindrical wire is doubled, the number of charge carriers per area also doubles, resulting in a higher current and less resistance.
Ott Rovgeisha
Hi!
The question is simple, seemingly...

Doubling the length of a wire, doubles the resistance of the wire...

Why?

There is one interesting point to it:

Doubling the length of the wire also makes the ELECTRIC FIELD weaker TWO times.
That automatically makes the current smaller two times...

We know that making the resistance bigger 2 times, makes the current smaller 2 times.

I see a parallel here! It seems that resistance is NOT necessarily a property of the matter itself, rather it is the combination of factors that make the current smaller than it would be if there were no such factor present (e.g making the wire longer). So it seems to me that the "resistive factor" here is the weakening of the electric field...

Any opinions?

Kind regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ott Rovgeisha said:
Doubling the length of the wire also makes the ELECTRIC FIELD weaker TWO times.
The electric field is due to the current flowing through the wire, not the resistance of the wire.

256bits said:
The electric field is due to the current flowing through the wire, not the resistance of the wire.
I assure you that this is not true!
The electric field in the wire is due to the surface charge gradient ON the conductor. The surface charge gradient is caused by the battery! Electric field CAUSES the current, not vice versa!

Ott: what is your logic if instead of doubling the length of the wire, you double the cross sectional area of a cylindrical wire?

Ott Rovgeisha said:
I assure you that this is not true!
The electric field in the wire is due to the surface charge gradient ON the conductor. The surface charge gradient is caused by the battery! Electric field CAUSES the current, not vice versa!
You are blinding me by science, as the song goes, but I think I might see what you are saying.
Resistivity is tabulated for materials, but to obtain a value, one has had to previously measure the voltage and current through a section of the material.
Hmm.
Then it is back to a catch-22 situation, or chicken and egg question of which determines which - ie voltage, current, resistance.

What about what qsal has mentioned?

gsal said:
Ott: what is your logic if instead of doubling the length of the wire, you double the cross sectional area of a cylindrical wire?

Doubling the cross sectional area doubles the number of charge carriers per area, which in turn directly doubles the current. It is a condition, by which the current is able to be twice as high compering to the situation where the wire is thinner: therefore we can again, say that the resistance to the current is less.

Related to Resistance and the length of the wire

1. How does the length of a wire affect resistance?

As the length of a wire increases, the resistance also increases. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there are between the electrons and the particles in the wire, causing more resistance to the flow of electricity.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and wire thickness?

Thicker wires have lower resistance compared to thinner wires. This is because there is more space for the electrons to flow through a thicker wire, resulting in fewer collisions and less resistance.

3. Does the material of a wire affect its resistance?

Yes, the material of a wire does affect its resistance. Materials with higher resistivity, such as copper, have lower resistance compared to materials with lower resistivity, such as iron.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a wire?

As the temperature of a wire increases, the resistance also increases. This is because the particles in the wire vibrate more at higher temperatures, causing more collisions and increasing the resistance.

5. How can the resistance of a wire be calculated?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be represented by the formula R = V/I.