Resistance effecting current through Voltmeter

In summary: Sometimes letters stand for constants, and sometimes they represent real, physical objects. In summary, because the voltmeter has a much larger resistance than the circuit, the current through it will be very small. The current through the circuit will be 99% of the total current.
GDGirl

Homework Statement

When you hook up a voltmeter to a circuit, you are providing another possible pathway for current—that is, through the voltmeter. Usually this is not a problem, provided that the resistance of the voltmeter is much larger than the resistance of the circuit. Suppose you have a circuit containing a DC supply (voltage V) and a resistor R, and you want to use a voltmeter (with resistance 10 MΩ or 107 Ω) to measure the voltage drop across a resistance R. What is the largest value of R for which the current drawn from the DC supply will change by no more than 1%? (Hint: the current through R alone is I=V/R, where V is the DC supply voltage. What is the current through the parallel combination of R and the voltmeter?)

Homework Equations

V=IR
Itotal=I1+I2
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to go about this. Only having one number really throws me for a loop. Right now I'm still trying to figure out what equations I need to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have more numbers than you think, but you have to infer them from the problem. You have the resistance of the voltmeter (maybe, because "10 Mohms or 107 Ohms is not clear), and you know that you want the current through the resistor (with voltmeter in parallel) to be 99% I total (really think about the percentage as it's the key). What does that tell you about what the current through the voltmeter? From there you work can work backwards, because they are set up in parallel.

If I give you anything else, then I will have basically answered the question.

S_Happens said:
You have more numbers than you think, but you have to infer them from the problem. You have the resistance of the voltmeter (maybe, because "10 Mohms or 107 Ohms is not clear), and you know that you want the current through the resistor (with voltmeter in parallel) to be 99% I total (really think about the percentage as it's the key). What does that tell you about what the current through the voltmeter? From there you work can work backwards, because they are set up in parallel.

If I give you anything else, then I will have basically answered the question.

Oops, forgot to fix that, it's supposed to be 10 Mohms or 107Ohms. ^^; Sorry 'bout that.
The current through the voltmeter will be 1 percent of the total current, right? So.. I need to find the current.
so if I set up the equation I=V/R as I=IR/R...I'll end up with one. That's not right. I guess I'm not sure how the resistance of the voltmeter helps me at all with this.
all the things I can think of to do have like, two unknowns.
Because I know 1/Req=1/R1+1/R2 but I only know one of the resistances.

You don't need an actual number for the current to solve this problem. You know that Itotal is the current through the voltmeter plus the current through the resistor. You know that you want the current through the resistor to be a certain percentage of the total current. You tried an equation and set the currents equal (you didn't denote any difference between them with I1 and I2, so there's nothing for them to do except cancel each other out), but if one current is 99% of the total and the other is 1% then you know that can't be correct.

Man, it's hard not to completely give it away, but I'll try again to give some hints.
Start with the equation V=IR for each resistor in parallel
1) What variable in the equation V=IR is always equivalent for both sides in parallel (not only in this example, but any)?
2) Is there a way to plug the 99% and 1% into Itotal = I1 + I2?

Using those two hints and the resistance of the voltmeter, you can turn two equations of V=IR (6 variables) into one equation that can solve for the other resistance. The last hint is that you need to figure out when a variable represented by a letter is REALLY a variable.

Related to Resistance effecting current through Voltmeter

1. What is the resistance effect on current through a voltmeter?

The resistance of a voltmeter has a negligible effect on the current passing through it. This is because a voltmeter is designed to have a very high resistance, typically in the range of thousands to millions of ohms. This high resistance ensures that the voltmeter draws very little current from the circuit it is measuring, and thus does not significantly affect the overall current flowing through the circuit.

2. How does the resistance of a voltmeter affect voltage measurements?

The resistance of a voltmeter does not affect voltage measurements significantly. This is because a voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, meaning that it does not alter the voltage across the component being measured. Additionally, as mentioned before, a voltmeter has a very high resistance, which means that the current passing through it is minimal and does not cause any significant voltage drop.

3. Is there a limit to the resistance of a voltmeter?

There is no specific limit to the resistance of a voltmeter, as it depends on the type and purpose of the voltmeter. However, in order to ensure accurate voltage measurements, a voltmeter should have a resistance that is at least 100 times greater than the resistance of the circuit it is measuring. For most circuits, a voltmeter with a resistance in the range of thousands to millions of ohms is suitable.

4. How does a voltmeter measure voltage without affecting the circuit?

A voltmeter measures voltage by connecting in parallel to the circuit it is measuring. This means that it creates a separate path for the current to flow, and the voltage across the component being measured remains unchanged. Additionally, the high resistance of the voltmeter ensures that very little current flows through it, minimizing any effect on the circuit.

5. Can the resistance of a voltmeter be adjusted?

The resistance of a voltmeter can be adjusted in some cases, such as in digital voltmeters where the resistance is controlled electronically. However, in traditional analog voltmeters, the resistance is fixed and cannot be adjusted. It is important to select a voltmeter with an appropriate resistance for the circuit being measured to ensure accurate readings.