Resistance in Parallel Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for finding total resistance in a parallel circuit and the different ways it can be written. The 1/R expression is easier to understand and remember, but the other form (R=1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3)) is also commonly used. The reason for this is that it depends on what information is given and what is being solved for. Similarly, the use of F=ma in Newton's 2nd law is also discussed as an example of how equations can be written in different forms. In general, both forms of the equations are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably.
CheesyPeeps
The formula to find the total resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/R=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3, but wouldn't it be easier to use R=1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3)? I've only ever seen the equation written like that once before, and I'm wondering if there's a reason as to why it's never really used?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's easier to use depends on what you have and where you want to go.
The 1/R expression is easier to understand and to remember:

Voltage is the same for all R
Total current = Voltage / Total resistance
Total current = Sum of individual currents = Sum ( Voltage / Individual resistance i )​

Divide by Voltage and you get the 1/R = Sum (1/Ri )

CheesyPeeps said:
I'm wondering if there's a reason as to why it's never really used?
It is USED plenty. Students are expected to be able to divide easily.

Similarly, Newton's 2nd law is almost always written F=ma, even though students are expected to recognize and use the equivalent a=F/m and m=F/a.

Thanks! I suppose it does make sense that we don't write it that way.

What others said. The two equations are mathematically the same. If anything the second form of the equation is used more frequently.

1. What is the formula for calculating resistance in parallel circuits?

The formula for calculating resistance in parallel circuits is Rtotal = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn), where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

2. How does resistance in parallel circuits compare to resistance in series circuits?

In parallel circuits, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance, whereas in series circuits, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. This means that parallel circuits have a lower overall resistance compared to series circuits.

3. Can you have a negative resistance in a parallel circuit?

No, negative resistance is not possible in a parallel circuit. The resistance in a parallel circuit is always positive and can only decrease as more resistors are added.

4. How does adding more resistors in parallel affect the overall resistance?

Adding more resistors in parallel decreases the overall resistance of the circuit. This is because the total resistance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each individual resistance, so as more resistors are added, the sum of the reciprocals increases and the overall resistance decreases.

5. What happens to the current in a parallel circuit when one resistor is removed?

The current in a parallel circuit increases when one resistor is removed. This is because there is now less resistance in the circuit, so the total current is able to flow through the remaining resistors with less opposition, resulting in an increase in current.