Resistivity equation relating to equations for resistors

In summary, the conversation discussed the equation for total resistance in series and parallel circuits, as well as the concept of resistivity and its relationship to constants such as k, x, and d. The conversation also touched on different approaches to solving the problem and rearranging equations. It was also mentioned that when more resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance decreases.
lpettigrew
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been trying to answer this question but I am really struggling. As you can see, I have attempted to formulate a solution but I do not think that it is correct and I am grasping at straws really.

The equation R = pL /A can be related to the equations for resistors in series and parallel. Consider a wire of resistivity p, length x and diameter d.
1. Write an equation for resistance R in terms of k, x and d, where k is a constant.

2. If n wires of length x are joined together, this is the same as joining n resistors in series. Show this mathematically by using the equation for resistors in series to express the resistance of a wire of length nx and comparing it to the equation for resistivity.

3. If n wires of diameter d are joined side-by-side, this is the same as joining resistors in parallel. By what factor does it effectively increase the cross-sectional area of the wire? Use the equation for resistors in parallel to demonstrate.

However, as can be inferred I am very confused and have just jotted down some rough ideas but I would really appreciate some further help and explanation!
Relevant Equations
R = pL/A
1. Would k be p/π? (since resistivity of a material is a constant property and π is a constant)
I understand that typically R = pL/A
Therefore, would the equation be R = k(x/(d/2^2))
Confessedly, I truly am baffled.2. R total = sum of individual resistors (in series)
R total = R1 + R2+R3...+Rn etc.
If all of the resistances are the same;
R total=nR (where n is the number of components with resistance R)

R=pL/A or R=px/π*(d/2^2)

When L=x, then n lengths of wire x have resistance of:
R total= n(px/A) - Total resistance
R total = R total = n(px/A) - (pL/A) = nR
Total resistance = n*the resistance of one wire

3. Honestly, I do not know where to begin, I have attempted rearranging and substituting the equation but I ended up confusing myself more so.
I do understand that in parallel the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocal of the resistances of the components.
R total = 1/ R1+ 1/R2+1/R3...+1/Rn etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
lpettigrew said:
1. Would k be p/π? (since resistivity of a material is a constant property and π is a constant)
I understand that typically R = pL/A
Put all constants in k.

lpettigrew said:
2. R total = sum of individual resistors (in series)
R total = R1 + R2+R3...+Rn etc.
If all of the resistances are the same;
R total=nR (where n is the number of components with resistance R)

R=pL/A or R=px/π*(d/2^2)

When L=x, then n lengths of wire x have resistance of:
R total= n(px/A) - Total resistance
R total = R total = n(px/A) - (pL/A) = nR
Total resistance = n*the resistance of one wire
I don't understand your subtraction in there. Also, once you have R interns of k, x, and d, you should continue with that notation.

There are different ways to approach that question. I suggest you start with one case, resistors in series or one long wire, and show that you can transform the equation into the other case.

lpettigrew said:
3. Honestly, I do not know where to begin, I have attempted rearranging and substituting the equation but I ended up confusing myself more so.
I do understand that in parallel the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocal of the resistances of the components.
Same as for question 2. Start with one formulation, resistors in parallel or wires stuck together, and show that you can rearrange to get the other case.

DrClaude said:
Put all constants in k.
The problem says "Write an equation for resistance R in terms of k, x and d, where k is a constant." Constant d should not be part of k.

kuruman said:
The problem says "Write an equation for resistance R in terms of k, x and d, where k is a constant." Constant d should not be part of k.
I see more than just k, x, and d on the RHS of @lpettigrew's formula :smile:

Likes kuruman
DrClaude said:
I see more than just k, x, and d on the RHS of @lpettigrew's formula :smile:
Ah, yes. It's so obvious that becomes transparent. :doh:

DrClaude said:
Put all constants in k.I don't understand your subtraction in there. Also, once you have R interns of k, x, and d, you should continue with that notation.

There are different ways to approach that question. I suggest you start with one case, resistors in series or one long wire, and show that you can transform the equation into the other case.Same as for question 2. Start with one formulation, resistors in parallel or wires stuck together, and show that you can rearrange to get the other case.
Hello, thank you for your reply. I am really confused could you explain what you mean about taking a different approach. I do not know why I included that subtraction upon reflection either.

How would I rearrange the equation for resitivity in terms of k, x and d?

Sorry to be so uncertain 😳

lpettigrew said:
Hello, thank you for your reply. I am really confused could you explain what you mean about taking a different approach. I do not know why I included that subtraction upon reflection either.
It is difficult for me to follow your demonstration. This is why I gave you a hint as to how it can be done. You can simply try and clean ups what you wrote in post #1.

lpettigrew said:
How would I rearrange the equation for resitivity in terms of k, x and d?
I would move the numerical constant into k.

lpettigrew said:
Uhmm... you might want to review that for future reference. When more resistors are added in parallel does RTOTAL increase or decrease?

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
hen more resistors are added in parallel does RTOTAL increase or decrease?
By adding more resistors in parallel the equivalent resistance decreases and the toal current increases.

DrClaude said:
It is difficult for me to follow your demonstration. This is why I gave you a hint as to how it can be done. You can simply try and clean ups what you wrote in post #1.I would move the numerical constant into k.
Sorry I am really confused and do not know where to start from. Can we just start afresh approaching the question instead of modifying my previous attempt?

lpettigrew said:
Sorry I am really confused and do not know where to start from. Can we just start afresh approaching the question instead of modifying my previous attempt?
Yes, go ahead.

I do not know where to begin really. When you say that the numerical constants should be in k, are you referring to π?

lpettigrew said:
By adding more resistors in parallel the equivalent resistance decreases and the toal current increases.
Current increases only provided that the rest of the circuit can provide more current. What can also happen is that voltage decreases. This is extraneous to the heart of your discussion but you should be careful about making categorical statements that are actually limited by circumstances.

phinds said:
Current increases only provided that the rest of the circuit can provide more current. What can also happen is that voltage decreases. This is extraneous to the heart of your discussion but you should be careful about making categorical statements that are actually limited by circumstances.
Thank you for your informative statement. In actuality, I did not know that an increase in current was a circumstantial and was merely thinking along the lines of what I had read in my textbook. 👍

Likes Merlin3189 and phinds
lpettigrew said:
I do not know where to begin really. When you say that the numerical constants should be in k, are you referring to π?
There is a numerical factor (some power of 2) that should be moved to k.

That gives you an equation for the resistance of one particular resistor of length x. What is the resistance of n such resistors? What is the resistance of one resistor of length nx? Compare the two.

Are you referring to the numerical power (a power of 2) being d/2^2?

lpettigrew said:
Correct.

However your first post has this:
lpettigrew said:
If there are two parallel resistors, say 1Ω and 2Ω, that formula says

R total = 1/1 + 1/2
R total = 1+½
R total = 1½Ω,
which is an increase in value.

That's why I suggested you might want to review the situation.

Cheers,
Tom

lpettigrew said:
Are you referring to the numerical power (a power of 2) being d/2^2?
Correct.

DrClaude said:
Correct.
So does k = (d/2)^2?
In which case the equation would be R=px/π*k

lpettigrew said:
Write an equation for resistance R in terms of k, x and d, where k is a constant.
You're being asked to express R in terms of only k, x, and d. No other variables, like ##\rho##, should appear in the expression. When you separate out the factors that depend on ##x## and ##d##, you should be able to see that what remains is a constant, which you identify as the constant ##k##.

vela said:
You're being asked to express R in terms of only k, x, and d. No other variables, like ##\rho##, should appear in the expression. When you separate out the factors that depend on ##x## and ##d##, you should be able to see that what remains is a constant, which you identify as the constant ##k##.
Thank you very much for your explanation that has helped massively.
So with the original equation being R=px/π(d/2)^2
So, the constant would be ρ/π?
R=k(x/(d/2)^2) (which I posted earlier
DrClaude told me to move all numerical constants into k, would this become:
R=√2k(x/d) ?

lpettigrew said:
DrClaude told me to move all numerical constants into k, would this become:
R=√2k(x/d) ?
You still have a numerical constant there! Also, where does the square root come from?
Consider your original equation:
lpettigrew said:
The only thing you need to do is to make the "divide by 2" part of k.

DrClaude said:
You still have a numerical constant there! Also, where does the square root come from?
Consider your original equation:

The only thing you need to do is to make the "divide by 2" part of k.
So, R=k/2(x/d)?

I am very confused 😳

Everything that's not an ##x## or a ##d## should end up in ##k##. That includes numerical constants.

By the way, it's not helping that you're either making really basic algebraic mistakes or typing them in wrong. Double-check your work before clicking on "post reply". It would also help if you showed your work step by step so we can identify possible mistakes.

1. What is the resistivity equation for a resistor?

The resistivity equation for a resistor is ρ = RA/L, where ρ is the resistivity (in ohm-meters), R is the resistance (in ohms), A is the cross-sectional area (in square meters), and L is the length (in meters) of the resistor.

2. How is the resistivity equation related to Ohm's Law?

The resistivity equation is derived from Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. The resistivity equation takes into account the physical properties of the material, such as its length and cross-sectional area, to calculate the resistance of a specific resistor.

3. Can the resistivity equation be used to calculate the resistance of any material?

No, the resistivity equation is specifically for calculating the resistance of resistors made from a homogeneous material. It cannot be used for materials with varying properties, such as semiconductors or insulators.

4. How does temperature affect the resistivity equation?

The resistivity of a material typically increases with temperature, which means the resistance of a resistor will also increase as it gets hotter. This relationship is described by the temperature coefficient of resistance, which is a constant value for each material. The resistivity equation can be modified to take into account the temperature coefficient of resistance for more accurate calculations.

5. Can the resistivity equation be used for resistors in series or parallel?

Yes, the resistivity equation can be applied to resistors in series or parallel by considering the total length and cross-sectional area of the combined resistors. For resistors in series, the total length is the sum of the individual lengths, and for resistors in parallel, the total cross-sectional area is the sum of the individual cross-sectional areas.