Resistive dissipation and Ohm's law

In summary: So, which of these two choices results in the greatest change in the rate of conversion?In summary, the variations (a) and (b) result in a four times increase in the rate of conversion of electrical energy to thermal energy, while the variations (c) and (d) result in no change in the rate of conversion if the device follows Ohm's law. The variables V and R are directly related to each other through Ohm's law, and any change in one will result in a corresponding change in the other. Therefore, in (a) and (b), the change in V will result in a change in I, leading to a four times increase in the rate of conversion. However, in (c) and (
AdrianMachin

Homework Statement

A potential difference V is connected across a device with resistance R, causing current i through the device. Rank the following variations according to the change in the rate at which electrical energy is converted to thermal energy due to the resistance, greatest change first:
(a) V is doubled with R unchanged,
(b) i is doubled with R unchanged,
(c) R is doubled with V unchanged,
(d) R is doubled with i unchanged.

Homework Equations

$$P= {i^2} R$$
$$P= \frac {V^2} R$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know and understand that (a) and (b) result in ##P'=4P##, but I'm not sure if I judge (c) and (d) variations correctly. I guess that the answer to (c) and (d) is that there would be no change if the device obeys Ohm's law.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume some values for V and R and check each condition. You have listed the correct equations.
AdrianMachin said:
guess that the answer to (c) and (d) is that there would be no change if the device obeys Ohm's law.
No change in what?

cnh1995 said:
You can assume some values for V and R and check each condition. You have listed the correct equations.

No change in what?
No change in ##P##.

AdrianMachin said:
No change in ##P##.
There will be changes in P according to the equations you've listed.

Likes AdrianMachin
cnh1995 said:
There will be changes in P according to the equations you've listed.
I think I was wrong to worry about the Ohm's law, it is actually embedded in those two equations.

It looks like they only want you to worry about the changes that each choice asks about. Obviously if R is kept constant (in the first two), then a change in V results in a change in I, as well as a change in I would result in a change in V (per Ohm's Law). So the bottom two tell you that somehow the device has changed (maybe it is a potentiometer, which you can adjust), and they are able to configure the supply to remain constant in the listed variable.

1. What is resistive dissipation?

Resistive dissipation is the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy as it passes through a resistive material. This is due to the resistance of the material which causes a loss of energy in the form of heat.

2. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This relationship can be expressed as V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What is the formula for calculating resistive dissipation?

The formula for calculating resistive dissipation is P = I²R or P = V²/R, where P is power, I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance. This formula can be used to determine the amount of heat generated by the resistance in a circuit.

4. How does resistive dissipation affect electronic devices?

Resistive dissipation can cause electronic devices to overheat and potentially malfunction or even fail. This is why it is important for electronic devices to have proper cooling systems in place to dissipate the heat generated by resistive materials.

5. How does the resistance of a material affect resistive dissipation?

The higher the resistance of a material, the more energy will be lost as heat when electricity passes through it. This is why materials with low resistance, such as copper, are often used in electronic devices to reduce the amount of resistive dissipation and prevent overheating.