Resnick and Halliday which book I should choose?

In summary, the Halliday, Resnick Krane books are decent introductory physics books. They are broad overviews of physics with less depth than later physics courses. They are available new and used, and may be marked up. The free books by Benjamin Crowell are a good resource.
ricky33
Resnick and Halliday have many physics books and they have more than 6 named fundamental of physics I don't know which one I should choose they have many editions for each book and they have the same name .

Physics news on Phys.org
ricky33 said:
Resnick and Halliday have many physics books and they have more than 6 named fundamental of physics I don't know which one I should choose they have many editions for each book and they have the same name .

It doesn't really matter much. Halliday and Resnick type books try to give an overview of a lot of physics. This overview is not deep. You will go very deep in all aspects of physics in later physics courses. So the goal of Halliday and Resnick is to cover things very broadly, to introduce you with physical thinking and to make you aware of the basic concepts. In that sense, all editions would serve quite well. I would go for the one that is cheapest.

Likes vanhees71 and jedishrfu
One other thing to think about is some used student copies of this book may be marked up with highlighter which can distract from the reading experience.

Also ABE Books is a good resource for finding used copies with descriptions on book quality:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=halliday+resnick&sts=t&tn=fundamentals+of+physics

Another possible book resource is the IB Physics book by KA Tsokos, its a bit smaller than Halliday but packaged quite well for freshman level physics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521138213/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and lastly, there the free books by Benjamin Crowell at:

www.lightandmatter.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I liked the green book too. It came out a few years after I graduated. The standard at the time was the royal blue book. Our school used another authors book which wasn't as good and we were only 15 miles from RPI where Resnick taught. Go figure!

1. Which edition of "Resnick and Halliday" should I choose?

It is recommended to choose the latest edition of the book as it will have the most updated information and may also include new topics or improvements in explanations.

2. Is "Resnick and Halliday" suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, the book is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes numerous examples and practice problems to help with understanding.

3. Should I choose the hardcover or paperback version of "Resnick and Halliday"?

This is a personal preference. The hardcover version may be more durable and long-lasting, but the paperback version is usually more affordable. Consider your usage and budget before making a decision.

4. Are there any online resources available for "Resnick and Halliday"?

Yes, there are various online resources such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and practice problems available for "Resnick and Halliday". These can be found on the publisher's website or on other educational websites.

5. Is "Resnick and Halliday" suitable for self-study?

Yes, the book is suitable for self-study as it is written in a clear and concise manner with numerous examples and practice problems. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a better understanding of the concepts.