Resolution when not diffraction limited

In summary: If you have a spot diagram, you can try to compute the two-point separation distance (Rayleigh criterion); just be aware that the calculation is not particularly accurate.In summary, the resolution of an optics system is not always easy to determine.
Emperor42
Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the resolution of an optics system that is NOT diffraction limited. I know you can calculate the resolution of a diffraction limited system using the Rayleigh criterion, but that assumes the system is diffraction limited. Is there some way using the spot diagrams?

Science news on Phys.org
Emperor42 said:
Is there some way using the spot diagrams?

well, can you give some details of spot diagrams?

You could try comparing the spot diagram of the optical system with that of a perfect system. Try comparing the smallest blur diameter for both systems.

large FOV.jpg

drvrm said:
well, can you give some details of spot diagrams?

Emperor42 said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the resolution of an optics system that is NOT diffraction limited.

You have to be more specific.

Near-field imaging systems are not diffraction limited; in NSOM (near field scanning optical microscopy) the resolution is given by the size of the fiber tip. Stimulated emission depletion is also not diffraction-limited, but I'm not sure what the resolution limit is. Other super-resolution techniques involve multiple images and/or computation.

Andy Resnick said:
You have to be more specific.

Near-field imaging systems are not diffraction limited; in NSOM (near field scanning optical microscopy) the resolution is given by the size of the fiber tip. Stimulated emission depletion is also not diffraction-limited, but I'm not sure what the resolution limit is. Other super-resolution techniques involve multiple images and/or computation.

I think I was not being specific in my question. I am using a conventional optics setup with an object, objective lens and a CCD chip. My question is if the optics system is not perfect so light lies outside the airy disk then what is the resolution then?

Last edited:
Emperor42 said:
I think I was not being specific in my question. I am using a conventional optics setup with an object, objective lens and a CCD chip. My question is if the optics system is not perfect so light lies outside the air disk then what is the resolution then?

I doubt there's an easy answer. You'd have to evaluate the optical system and the resulting spot diagrams and then do a complicated analysis. Not only does the size of the spot matter, but so does the intensity of the light at different points on the spot, the shape of the spot, and whether the spot is symmetrical or not. I can't say I'm an expert, but I've read a little on this subject, including a book full of spot diagrams of various telescopes and an actual discussion and analysis of resolution in several different contexts. The understanding I came away with was that resolution is complicated to figure out, especially when you have imperfect optics with large, asymmetric aberrations.

Emperor42 said:
I think I was not being specific in my question. I am using a conventional optics setup with an object, objective lens and a CCD chip. My question is if the optics system is not perfect so light lies outside the air disk then what is the resolution then?

Not sure what you mean by 'air disk'. Presumably you mean "airy disk"?

In any case, the word 'resolution' is generally poorly defined. You can compute various system characteristics (spot size, cutoff frequency, etc) and these can vary over the image field. In some cases, there is a simple way to compute the modulation transfer function (or contrast transfer function, for sampled systems such as a CCD), but the more fidelity you try to add (Bayer filter, chromatic aberrations, system noise, etc) the more complex the calculation.

If you have a spot diagram, you can try to compute the two-point separation distance (Rayleigh criterion); just be aware that the calculation is not particularly accurate. In general, it's best to directly measure the system performance rather than try to model it.

1. What is resolution when not diffraction limited?

Resolution when not diffraction limited refers to the ability of a microscope or other imaging system to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. It is affected by factors such as the numerical aperture of the lens and the wavelength of light used.

2. How does resolution when not diffraction limited differ from diffraction-limited resolution?

Diffraction-limited resolution is the theoretical limit of resolution for an imaging system, while resolution when not diffraction limited takes into account practical limitations and imperfections in the system. As a result, resolution when not diffraction limited is usually lower than diffraction-limited resolution.

3. What factors affect resolution when not diffraction limited?

The main factors that affect resolution when not diffraction limited include the numerical aperture of the lens, the wavelength of light used, and any aberrations or imperfections in the imaging system. Other factors such as specimen preparation and image processing techniques may also have an impact.

4. How can resolution when not diffraction limited be improved?

To improve resolution when not diffraction limited, one can use a lens with a higher numerical aperture, shorter wavelength light, or correct any aberrations in the imaging system. Additionally, advanced techniques such as deconvolution or super-resolution microscopy can also improve resolution.

5. Why is resolution when not diffraction limited important in scientific research?

Resolution when not diffraction limited is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately observe and measure microscopic structures and processes. This is crucial in fields such as biology, medicine, and materials science, where small details can have a significant impact on understanding and discovery.