Resolved resultant force along a specific axis

In summary, the homework statement is asking for someone to try to find the magnitude of the resultant force, if the resultant force acts along the positive u axis.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8767/meprob27.jpg

If the resultant force acts along the positive u axis, determine the resultant force and angle theta (red angle)

Homework Equations

law of sines

pythagorean theorem, etc

trig

parallelogram, head to tail methods, something probably missing, etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The resultant force comes from the 3 kN and 2 kN forces.

I try

-30 deg = tan-1(Fy / Fx)

Fy = (2 kN)(sin θ)

Fx = (3 kN) + (2 kN)(cos θ)

and I get stuck here, trying to go by just what I thought was usual trig / force vectors

If I have to draw another triangle to help solve, then I am not sure how.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing expressions for the two components of u nd see if that helps...

I'm not sure how to go about that but do you mean something like:F(u) = 3000(cos 30) + 2000(cos -(30 - theta)) ? I'm really not sure what to do, if it means that the resultant force has to go along the u axis or not.

ie Is it saying that ALL the resultant force has to act along the u axis?

I left it out of my original post that it was supposed to be to determine the MAGNITUDE of the resultant force (if the resultant force acts along the positive u axis).

It seems kind of hard when you aren't given that other angle either... any tips?

Last edited:
You have successfully written down the two components of the resultant force u. That is
Fy = (2 kN)(sin θ)

Fx = (3 kN) + (2 kN)(cos θ)
So you have two equations and three unknowns. You need another equation.
Suppose Fx and Fy were real numbers like say 4 kN and 5 kN. How would you combine them?

How about

-30 deg = tan-1[ (2 sinθ)/[3 + 2(cos θ)] ]Factor out cosine from bottom:

-30 deg = tan-1[ (2 sinθ) / cos θ[3/(cos θ) + 2]-30 deg = tan-1[ (2 sinθ) / cos θ[3/(cos θ) + 2] make sin / cos = tan:

-30 deg = tan-1[ tan (2)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]

-30 deg = (2)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]-30 deg = 2 / [3/(cos θ) + 2]

(not sure if I can flip everything over like this and if the other algebra is correct below) :1 / (-30 deg) = [3/(cos θ) + 2] / 2

(2)/ (-30 deg) = [3/(cos θ) + 2]

Divide everything by 3 (kN, so the kN units cancel out now for sure):

(2)(-10 deg) = 1/(cos θ) + 2/3(2)(-10 deg) - 2/3 = 1/(cos θ) Flip everything again:

[(2)(-10 deg) - 2/3]^-1 = cos θcos^-1[ [(2)(-10 deg) - 2/3 ]^-1 ] = θ
and i get an error doing this

If I do Pythagorean theorem with Fy and Fx algebraically it just causes R to come up and theta stays so that doesn't work.

Colour of Cyan: This line of yours:
-30 deg = (2)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]

should be Tan(-30 deg)=(2tanθ)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]
and you know that Tan(-30) is -1/sqrt 3
hence theta should be attainable. However, if you look at this problem graphically, you will see that there are two possible solutions for theta. Have you tried this approach? First draw a horizontal line 3 units long. From the right hand end draw a line of indefinite length at an angle of 150. With your compass on the left end of the 3, draw an arc 2 units long to intersect the sloping line.

I didn't think about moving tan^-1 to the other side

so

tan(-30 deg)=(2tanθ)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]

-0.577 = (2tanθ)/[3/(cos θ) + 2]

-1 / 0.577 = [3/(cos θ) + 2]/(2tanθ)

-2tan θ/0.577 = (3/cos θ) + 2

Divide everything by 3, change cos

-2tan θ/-1.732 = sec θ + (2/3)

Divide everything by sec θ:

-2tanθ / -1.732(sec θ) = 1 + (2/3secθ)

change sec back to 1/cos, change tank to sin/cos, factor out:

-2sinθ/-1.732 = 1 + 2cosθ

I'm not sure how to solve this from here, algebraically This is the right approach to this problem though, right? No shorter way? When I do get this right I hope most of my other homework problems aren't this long, heh.

1. What is the definition of "resolved resultant force along a specific axis"?

Resolved resultant force along a specific axis refers to the process of breaking down a resultant force into its individual components along a specified axis. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the force's effects on an object or system.

2. How is the resolved resultant force along a specific axis calculated?

The resolved resultant force along a specific axis is calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine, to determine the magnitude and direction of the force components along the specified axis. This is often done in conjunction with vector addition and subtraction to determine the overall resultant force.

3. Why is it important to resolve a resultant force along a specific axis?

Resolving a resultant force along a specific axis is important because it allows for a more detailed analysis of the force's effects on an object or system. It also helps in determining the stability and equilibrium of the object or system, as well as identifying any potential areas of stress or strain.

4. What are some real-world applications of resolving resultant forces along a specific axis?

Resolving resultant forces along a specific axis is commonly used in structural engineering, mechanics, and physics. It can be applied in the design and analysis of buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the study of fluid mechanics and motion of objects.

5. Are there any limitations to resolving resultant forces along a specific axis?

One limitation of resolving resultant forces along a specific axis is that it assumes the forces are acting in a two-dimensional plane. In reality, forces can act in three dimensions, which may require a more complex analysis using vector components. Additionally, this method may not be applicable in situations where the forces are constantly changing in magnitude and direction.