Resolving bodies at large distances

In summary: If the separation is greater than the diffraction limit, then the stars will be resolved as separate. In summary, the telescope can resolve two stars that are separated by 5.25*10^-7 rads.
mjda

Homework Statement

If a 6.5m diameter telescope operates at wavelengths between 600nm to 2800nm, and for stellar densities similar to the Solar neighbourhood, what is the range of distances this telescope can resolve individual stars?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts so far have led to calculating the angular resolutions of the telescope at 600nm and 2800nm:

1.12*10^-7 rads && 5.25*10^-7 rads, respectively.

How do I go forward from here? I don't understand how to incorporate the local Solar density into this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem isn't clear to me either. You should ask for clarification. What does it mean to "resolve individual stars"? Individual stars are points of light and not resolved into disks in even the largest telescopes. Are you supposed to calculate an average separation of stars in the solar neighborhood and see how far away you can resolve that separation? It is a very poorly worded question, in my opinion.

phyzguy said:
The problem isn't clear to me either. You should ask for clarification. What does it mean to "resolve individual stars"? Individual stars are points of light and not resolved into disks in even the largest telescopes. Are you supposed to calculate an average separation of stars in the solar neighborhood and see how far away you can resolve that separation? It is a very poorly worded question, in my opinion.
Right?!

I had it in my head that what if it actually means, how far can a body of similar size to the Sun be resolved at these wavelengths by the 6.5m telescope.

My problem is "the stellar densities", and Solar neighbour hood, wording.

If I have the angular resolutions at the respective wavelengths, surely all I need is the size of the body I'm trying to resolve and then I can work out the maximum distance it can be to be resolved?

mjda said:
If I have the angular resolutions at the respective wavelengths, surely all I need is the size of the body I'm trying to resolve and then I can work out the maximum distance it can be to be resolved?

Yes. But what is the problem asking? Is it asking you to resolve individual stars into disks? In this case the relevant size is the diameter of the star. Or is it asking you to separate nearby stars? In this case the average distance between stars is the relevant size. These are very different length scales. There is no way to know what is being asked without asking for clarification.

I read the question to refer to the telescope's ability to resolve two stars distinctly. Given some average separation between stars, at some distance, their angular separation will be too small for the telescope to resolve as separate stars because of the diffraction limit.

1. What is the definition of "resolving bodies at large distances"?

"Resolving bodies at large distances" refers to the ability of a telescope or other optical instrument to distinguish between two objects that are very far apart from each other. This is usually measured in terms of angular resolution, which is the smallest angle between the two objects that can be distinguished by the instrument.

2. How is angular resolution related to resolving bodies at large distances?

Angular resolution is a measure of the ability to distinguish between two objects at a given distance. The smaller the angular resolution, the closer two objects can be and still be resolved as separate entities. In the context of resolving bodies at large distances, a smaller angular resolution means that the instrument is able to distinguish between objects that are farther apart.

3. What factors affect the ability to resolve bodies at large distances?

The main factors that affect the ability to resolve bodies at large distances are the size of the optical instrument, the wavelength of light being observed, and the atmospheric conditions. Larger instruments and shorter wavelengths of light provide better resolution, while atmospheric turbulence can reduce the resolution of even the most advanced instruments.

4. Can we improve the ability to resolve bodies at large distances?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the ability to resolve bodies at large distances. One method is to use adaptive optics, which corrects for atmospheric turbulence and can greatly improve resolution. Another approach is to use interferometry, which combines the data from multiple telescopes to create a virtual telescope with much better resolution.

5. How does resolving bodies at large distances contribute to scientific research?

Being able to resolve bodies at large distances is crucial for many areas of scientific research, including astronomy and cosmology. It allows us to study and understand the properties and behavior of objects that are too far away to be observed with the naked eye. This information can provide insights into the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as help us better understand our own place in it.