Resonance frequency of cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam using different units. The speaker provides the specifications of the beam and the equation they are using to calculate the frequency. They also mention converting the values to SI units and getting a different answer. They question the missing factor of 386 in/s^2 and suggest multiplying their answer by sqrt(386) to get a closer result.
seang

Homework Statement

Sorry for wasting your time and bandwidth, but I can't figure this out. I just have a cantilever beam with the following specifications:

length : 40 in.
width: 2 in.
height: 2 in.
E = 30e6 psi.
mbar = .8991 lbm/in.

And I'm trying to find the beam's resonance frequency (first mode). The problem is, I can't get a consistent answer between using SI units and the disastrous units given above.

Homework Equations

First I converted all of the above values to SI:

length = 1.016 m
width = .0508 m
height = .0508 m
E = 2.068e11 Pa
mbar = 15.878 kg/m

And I'm using the equation below to calculate the resonance frequency.

[tex]\omega = (1.875)^2 \sqrt{\frac{EI}{\overline{m}l^4}[/tex]}}

where

[tex]I = \frac{wh^3}{12}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If i do this, I get about 14.74 Hz for the imperial figures, and 289.6 Hz for the SI case. What gives? I have to be doing something wrong...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
g = 386 in / s^2 seems to be missing

How would that factor come about? I hvae converted all the imperial quantities as mentioned above, not sure where that factor would come in.

However, if I multiply my imperial figure by sqrt(386), I get about 262 Hz, which is somewhat close...

Thanks for your reply btw

What is the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam?

The resonance frequency of a cantilever beam is the natural frequency at which the beam will vibrate with the highest amplitude when excited by an external force. It is determined by the beam's length, material properties, and boundary conditions.

How can the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam be calculated?

The resonance frequency of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2L) * sqrt(EI/m), where f is the resonance frequency, L is the length of the beam, E is the Young's modulus of the material, I is the moment of inertia, and m is the mass of the beam.

What factors affect the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam?

The resonance frequency of a cantilever beam is affected by its length, material properties such as stiffness and density, and boundary conditions such as the type of support at the fixed end.

What is the significance of the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam?

The resonance frequency of a cantilever beam is an important parameter in many engineering applications. It is used to determine the natural frequency of structures and to design systems that can withstand external forces without undergoing excessive vibrations.

How can the resonance frequency of a cantilever beam be controlled?

The resonance frequency of a cantilever beam can be controlled by changing its length, material properties, or boundary conditions. For example, adding a mass to the beam can lower its resonance frequency, while increasing its stiffness can increase the resonance frequency.