Resonant cavity and circuit analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between solving Maxwell's field equations for a resonant cavity and finding corresponding RCL circuits for each mode. The process involves treating each extremum of electric field as a capacitor and each node as an inductor, resulting in a ladder circuit. This circuit can then be simplified for the frequency of interest, with some sections reducing to single capacitors and inductors. However, this method is only applicable for narrowband purposes. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation.
dRic2
Gold Member
As I understand, if you solve the Maxwell's field equations for a resonant cavity, supposing a time dependence of the form ##e^{iwt}##, you get an eigenvalue problem and different modes as possible solutions. I'm reading some notes where the author states that each mode can be associated with a corresponding RCL circuit. Assuming ideal conducting walls you have no resistances (a part from a possible device to which the cavity is coupled), but I don't get how to draw the corresponding circuit for each TM or TE mode. To better explain myself I'll post some pictures:
Schermata 2020-05-06 alle 23.31.31.png
Schermata 2020-05-06 alle 23.31.35.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start with each extremum of E corresponding to capacitor, and node corresponding to inductor. You will get ladder circuit. Afterward, you need to treat each section of ladder as resonator in primary resonance, and calculate values of L and C. After calculation is complete for each section, produce the equivalent circuit for the frequency of interest. Some sections will reduce to single capacitors, while others - for single inductors.
For example, TM02 will have 11 elements (8 inductors and 3 capacitors) before reduction. Of course, such LC circuit approximation is intrinsically narrowband.

Likes dRic2
Thanks a lot. But I am pretty weak in both E&M and circuit analysis...

trurle said:
You should start with each extremum of E corresponding to capacitor, and node corresponding to inductor.
Can you explain why this is so?

dRic2 said:
Can you explain why this is so?
Extremum of E corresponds to resonator area with large swings of voltage but low currents. This state is well approximated by capacitor. Opposite is correct for zero of electric field.

trurle said:
low currents
Why do you say that ? I suppose we are talking about induced currents, but I don't see it

1. What is a resonant cavity?

A resonant cavity is a physical structure that is designed to resonate at a specific frequency. It is typically made up of two or more conductive walls that form a closed space, with an oscillating electromagnetic field inside. This allows for the storage and amplification of electromagnetic energy at the cavity's resonant frequency.

2. How does a resonant cavity work?

A resonant cavity works by trapping and reflecting electromagnetic waves at a specific resonant frequency. This is achieved by carefully selecting the dimensions and materials of the cavity to create standing waves that reinforce and amplify the desired frequency. The energy stored in the cavity can then be used for various applications such as filtering, amplification, and signal generation.

3. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical and analytical techniques to analyze the flow of electricity in a circuit and determine its characteristics, such as voltage, current, and impedance. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications.

4. How is circuit analysis related to resonant cavities?

Circuit analysis is essential for understanding the behavior of resonant cavities. By analyzing the circuit components and their interactions, we can determine the resonant frequency of the cavity and its response to different inputs. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing resonant cavities for specific applications, such as in microwave filters and oscillators.

5. What are some common applications of resonant cavities?

Resonant cavities have many practical applications, including in microwave and radio frequency circuits, where they are used as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in particle accelerators, where they provide a stable and powerful electromagnetic field for accelerating particles. Additionally, resonant cavities are used in medical imaging equipment, such as MRI machines, to produce and detect electromagnetic waves at specific frequencies.