Resonant Frequency and speed of sound

In summary, the frequency of sound produced by the third resonant length of a hollow tube chime with a length of 0.54m and a speed of sound of 346m/s would be 960Hz. If the chime were shorter, the frequency would decrease.
Codav
1. Hollow tube chimes are made of metal and are open at each end. One chime is 0.54m long.

-If the speed of sound is 346m/s, what is the frequency of sound produced by the third resonant length?

-What would happen to the frequency of sound produced by the third resonant length if the chime were shorter?

3. I'm having a hard time with this question, but here's my attempt:

Info: 0.54m, Speed of sound=346m/s
Half of one wavelength is the length of the chime.
λ=0.54m*2
λ=1.08m
Find frequency:
v=ƒ*λ
346m/s=ƒ*1.08m
ƒ=346/1.08
ƒ=320Hz
Find the third resonant length:
L3=5λ/4
L3=5(1.08)/4
L3=1.35m
Find frequency at this length:
ƒ=v/λ
ƒ=346m/s/1.35
=256Hz
3rd resonance frequency should be around 960Hz

Physics news on Phys.org
L3 is still the length of the pipe, so ##\lambda## is a lot smaller than the 1.08 m you use...

The 5/4 isn't correct either: both ends are open

From the information given, I suppose you are meant to solve the problem like the OP did.

But in real life the frequency of a hollow tube chime depends on the vibration of the tube bending like a beam, not on the length of the air column inside.

I've solved it myself. It's actually quite simple, I was using the wrong equation for resonant frequency.

Info: 0.54m, Speed of sound=346m/s
Half of one wavelength is the length of the chime.
λ=0.54m*2
λ=1.08m
Use first resonant frequency equation:
F1=v/λ
F1=346/1.08
=320Hz
Now multiply the first resonant length frequency by 3 to achieve the third resonant length frequency.
320*3=960Hz.

Well done.

What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the frequency at which an object naturally vibrates or oscillates when disturbed. It is dependent on the physical characteristics of the object such as size, shape, and material.

How is resonant frequency related to the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound travels through a medium. It is directly proportional to the square root of the object's elastic modulus and inversely proportional to its density. This means that objects with higher resonant frequencies have a higher speed of sound.

Can resonant frequency be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of an object can be changed by altering its physical characteristics. For example, changing the length or thickness of a string on a guitar will change its resonant frequency and therefore the pitch of the sound it produces.

What is the significance of resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is significant in a variety of applications, including musical instruments, communication systems, and medical imaging. It allows for efficient transfer of energy and can be used to amplify or filter specific frequencies.

How is the speed of sound affected by different mediums?

The speed of sound is dependent on the properties of the medium it travels through. In general, sound travels faster in denser materials, such as solids, and slower in less dense materials, such as gases. The temperature and humidity of the medium can also affect the speed of sound.