How Do Resonant MEMS Accelerometers Detect Changes in Acceleration?

In summary, for a resonant MEMS accelerometer, an AC voltage is applied to the suspending beam at its natural frequency, creating a standing wave pattern inside the beam. If an external force or acceleration is applied, the standing wave pattern disappears, but a feedback circuit restores the natural frequency and the pattern re-emerges. The amount of effort needed to restore the pattern is a measure of the applied acceleration. To ensure accuracy, thermal effects must also be taken into account.
Edge5
Hello,
Suppose that I have a resonant MEMS accelerometer. It has a suspending beam (resonator) and I want to apply an AC voltage to the beam which will be at beam's resonant(natural) frequency.
When I do this, I will create a standing wave pattern of acoustic waves (vibrations) inside the resonant beam. If an external force (or acceleration) is applied on my accelerometer, the standing wave pattern will disappear. However, I will use a feedback circuit to bring the resonator back to its natural frequency so that the standing wave pattern will re-emerge. The amount of "effort" I provide to restore the standing wave pattern (to bring beam back to its original resonant frequency) will be a measure of applied acceleration.

How does the circuit understand if the standing wave pattern is distrupted by an applied acceleration?

How do I experimentally understand that I am applying an AC voltage which has the same frequency as the natural frequency of the beam?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a resonant MEMS accelerometer?

A resonant MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical System) accelerometer is a type of sensor that measures acceleration by detecting changes in the resonant frequency of a mechanical structure. It typically consists of a micro-machined cantilever beam with a proof mass attached to it, which vibrates at a specific frequency when subjected to acceleration. By measuring the change in frequency, the acceleration can be calculated.

How does a resonant MEMS accelerometer work?

A resonant MEMS accelerometer works by utilizing the principles of mechanical resonance. When the device is subjected to acceleration, the proof mass attached to the cantilever beam experiences a force, causing it to deflect. This deflection changes the resonant frequency of the beam, which can be measured and used to calculate the acceleration.

What are the applications of resonant MEMS accelerometers?

Resonant MEMS accelerometers have a wide range of applications, including motion sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace industries, navigation systems, and structural health monitoring. They are also used in medical devices, such as pacemakers and prosthetic limbs, for monitoring movement and providing feedback.

What are the advantages of using resonant MEMS accelerometers?

Some of the advantages of resonant MEMS accelerometers include their small size, low power consumption, and high sensitivity. They are also cost-effective and can be easily integrated into electronic systems. Additionally, they have a wide frequency range and can measure both static and dynamic acceleration.

What are the limitations of resonant MEMS accelerometers?

While resonant MEMS accelerometers have many benefits, they also have some limitations. They are susceptible to noise and can be affected by temperature changes. Additionally, they have a limited measurement range and may not be suitable for high shock or vibration environments. Finally, they require calibration to maintain accuracy over time.