High frequency in MEMS devices

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a resonant mems accelerometer and the factors that affect its performance. The main focus was on the resonance frequency of the beam and its relationship to the quality factor of the device. It was noted that a high frequency mems chip requires high quality silicon, and the quality factor of the beam is determined by various mechanical properties. The conversation also touched on the importance of proper damping for optimal performance.
MrMuscle
Hello, I am designing a resonant mems accelerometer. It has a resonating beam. We are actuating it by AC voltage + DC voltage. We are going to actuate it at beam's resonance frequency.

When I search for papers related to previous studies, I encounter resonance frequencies ranging from 20 kHz to 400 kHz.

What is the difference between having 20 kHz or 400 kHz? (Difference between having high and low frequency?)

My hypothesis is that, if you want to have a high frequency mems chip, you need high quality silicon (since it is high speed electronics you need a pure,crystalline material with low amount of atomic defects. )
Thanks for your answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer. I was curious and looked into it very briefly.

I saw in a textbook by Rebeiz, that they performed a Fourier transform on d'Alembert's principle and plotted the frequency response with different quality factors of the beam. It looked just like the stuff I saw in a controls class in regards to damping: If the Q factor is too low, then the switching speed is slow; if the Q factor is too high, then the settling time is long. A later piece of that chapter mentions that the quality factor of the beam is determined by many mechanical properties such as pressure and temperature.

If the parameters of your beam is (mostly) fixed, then what would be its Q factor with different resonance frequencies? If the parameters of your beam is still being explored, then what mechanical properties would you need to achieve certain specifications such as switching speed or settling time?

I apologize if I'm being too juvenile for the topic.

Last edited:

1. What is high frequency in MEMS devices?

High frequency in MEMS devices refers to the frequency at which the device can operate or respond to external stimuli. In other words, it is the rate at which the device can change or vibrate in a given period of time.

2. How is high frequency achieved in MEMS devices?

High frequency in MEMS devices is achieved through the use of materials and fabrication techniques that allow for faster response times and higher resonant frequencies. This can include using materials with low density and high stiffness, as well as optimizing the device design and fabrication processes.

3. What are the benefits of high frequency in MEMS devices?

High frequency in MEMS devices allows for faster and more precise sensing and actuation capabilities. This can be beneficial in applications such as sensing, filtering, and communication systems where rapid response times are crucial.

4. What are the challenges of designing high frequency MEMS devices?

Designing high frequency MEMS devices can be challenging due to the trade-offs between size, performance, and reliability. As frequency increases, the device size typically decreases, which can make it more susceptible to external disturbances and mechanical failures.

5. How is high frequency in MEMS devices measured?

High frequency in MEMS devices is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) or kilohertz (kHz). This can be done using various techniques such as laser Doppler vibrometry, electrical impedance analysis, or frequency response analysis.