Resources for tutoring high school algebra

In summary: The book Elements of Algebra by Euler is a great choice. It's free online, and the exercises are really good.
The Bill
I may be doing Algebra I tutoring for high school students soon. What are some good resources for exercises and intuitive/novel explanations for topics some students find sticky, etc.?

One resource I'm sure I'll be using is the Schaum's Outline of Elementary Algebra, 3ed.

What I'd also like is recommendations of videos and video series like 3Blue1Brown, but pitched at the level of 9th grade Algebra 1. That is, I'm looking for videos that are not straight lessons, but explain the intuition or rationale behind a single topic in a way that isn't often taught the first time one encounters that topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bill said:
I may be doing Algebra I tutoring for high school students soon. What are some good resources for exercises and intuitive/novel explanations for topics some students find sticky, etc.?

One resource I'm sure I'll be using is the Schaum's Outline of Elementary Algebra, 3ed.

What I'd also like is recommendations of videos and video series like 3Blue1Brown, but pitched at the level of 9th grade Algebra 1. That is, I'm looking for videos that are not straight lessons, but explain the intuition or rationale behind a single topic in a way that isn't often taught the first time one encounters that topic.

Hard to beat Khan Academy. Each video is pretty specific to one topic.

Likes The Bill
Ackbeet said:
Hard to beat Khan Academy. Each video is pretty specific to one topic.

Their videos are good, but I was already aware of them, and they don't fit the flavor of what I asked about in my post. The Khan Academy videos are useful, but they serve a different purpose than the type of video I am asking about.

Can you expand on what you want that is different from the Khan Academy videos?

Likes Ackbach
FactChecker said:
Can you expand on what you want that is different from the Khan Academy videos?
When I wrote the last paragraph of my first post, I had Khan Academy in mind when I said "That is, I'm looking for videos that are not straight lessons, ."

I was contrasting 3Blue1Brown to videos like Khan Academy's.

There's nothing wrong with Khan Academy, and I will be using them as a resource. I just also want some videos on high school algebra topics that are much like the 3Blue1Brown videos.

Likes Ackbach and FactChecker
Thanks, smodak.

1. What are the best resources for tutoring high school algebra?

Some of the best resources for tutoring high school algebra include online tutoring platforms such as Khan Academy, tutoring centers, private tutors, and study guides or textbooks specifically designed for high school algebra.

2. How do I find a qualified tutor for high school algebra?

You can find a qualified tutor for high school algebra by asking for recommendations from teachers, friends, or family members, searching for tutors on online platforms, or contacting local tutoring centers. It's also important to check the tutor's credentials and experience in teaching algebra.

3. What should I look for in a study guide or textbook for high school algebra?

When looking for a study guide or textbook for high school algebra, you should consider the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations and examples, the variety of practice problems, and if it aligns with your school's curriculum.

4. Are there any free resources for tutoring high school algebra?

Yes, there are many free resources available for tutoring high school algebra. Some examples include online videos and tutorials, practice problems and worksheets, and study guides or textbooks available for free online.

5. How often should I schedule tutoring sessions for high school algebra?

The frequency of tutoring sessions for high school algebra will depend on your individual needs and goals. However, it is recommended to have sessions at least once a week to ensure consistent practice and understanding of the material. You may also want to consider increasing the frequency before exams or if you are struggling with a specific concept.