Resources on non-spherical conductor surface charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the concentration of charges on sharp edges of conducting surfaces and the search for a rigorous mathematical treatment of this phenomenon. The speaker asks for guidance towards resources that may provide analytical methods for solving or approximating solutions to Poisson's equation, which is involved in this boundary-value problem. The response mentions that analytical solutions are only possible in simple and highly-symmetric cases, and numerical methods are typically used. The conversation also briefly mentions a textbook proof involving conducting spheres and their charge distribution.
albertrichardf
Hi all,
I know qualitatively that charges tend to concentrate on sharp edges of conducting surfaces. I have tried searching online for a mathematical treatment of such a phenomenon, but I cannot find anything that's quite rigorous. I'd appreciate it if someone could guide me towards such resources.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertrichardf said:
Hi all,
I know qualitatively that charges tend to concentrate on sharp edges of conducting surfaces. I have tried searching online for a mathematical treatment of such a phenomenon, but I cannot find anything that's quite rigorous. I'd appreciate it if someone could guide me towards such resources.
Thank you.

Define "mathematical treatment".

If you want a plug-and-chug equation, there is no such thing. This is really a complex boundary-value problem involving finding the solution to Poisson's equation. Only the simplest and highly-symmetric cases will you find an analytical solution. Otherwise, you have to solve it numerically, typically using finite-element analysis.

Zz.

Likes BvU and vanhees71
Thanks for answering. I mean, are there any analytical methods to solve, or approximate a solution to Poisson's equation in these cases? Or at least show mathematically, that the charges tend to concentrate at the tip of a pointed surface?

The textbook proof goes this way.
Consider two conducting spheres, with radii ##R_1## and ##R_2##, separated by a large distance ##r \gg R_1,R_2## but connected by a wire. The surfaces have the same electric potential.
If the total charge is ##Q_1+Q_2##, what are ##Q_1## and ##Q_2## (how must that total charge be distributed)?
See, e.g., https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_06.html#Ch6-S11

1. What is a non-spherical conductor surface charge?

A non-spherical conductor surface charge refers to the distribution of electric charge on the surface of a conductor that is not perfectly spherical. This can occur due to the shape of the conductor or the presence of other charges nearby.

2. How are non-spherical conductor surface charges different from spherical conductor surface charges?

Non-spherical conductor surface charges differ from spherical conductor surface charges in their distribution and magnitude. Spherical conductor surface charges are evenly distributed on the surface, while non-spherical conductor surface charges can vary in distribution and magnitude depending on the shape of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the distribution of non-spherical conductor surface charges?

The distribution of non-spherical conductor surface charges can be affected by the shape and size of the conductor, the presence of other charges nearby, and the material properties of the conductor.

4. How do non-spherical conductor surface charges impact electric fields?

Non-spherical conductor surface charges can distort electric fields in their vicinity due to their uneven distribution. This can affect the strength and direction of the electric field, which can have implications for the behavior of charged particles in the area.

5. What are some applications of studying non-spherical conductor surface charges?

Studying non-spherical conductor surface charges can have practical applications in various fields, such as in designing electronic devices, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in space, and understanding the behavior of lightning strikes. It can also provide insights into the fundamental principles of electromagnetism.