The electric field between two adjacent uniformly charged hemispheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of an electron between two hemispheres (one conductive and one non-conductive) and the concept of uniform charge density. It also mentions the idea of symmetry and the lack of preference for a specific hemisphere.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Schermata 2020-11-29 alle 12.35.33.png here is the situation

Hi guys,

I should illustrate the motion of an electron in both cases, but I cannot really understand how will the field be like in the gap between the two(filled) hemispheres(conductor and non).

Another thing is: for the conductive hemispheres, does it make any sense to speak of "uniform charge density"(as mentioned in the statement of the problem)? Since these are conductors, won't all the charge arrange itself on the surface, creating a neutral charge on the inside?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a problem statement (other than 'here is the situation) ?
And is there a diffence between up and down (other than from gravity?) ?

BvU said:
Is there a problem statement (other than 'here is the situation) ?
Unfortunately not... that's an idea for an insight I got by talking to a professor, which presented me with this task.
I would like to come up with something, even by "interpreting" the situation to make it reasonable.

BvU said:
And is there a diffence between up and down (other than from gravity?) ?
What do you mean?

I meant 'difference' , sorry.
Explanation: physicists always look for symmetries.

BvU said:
I meant 'difference' , sorry.
Explanation: physicists always look for symmetries.
Okay, in that case, no;
up and down hemispheres are the same

Then there is no preference for either up or down...

1. What is the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres?

The electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at a point between the two hemispheres. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres calculated?

The electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on one hemisphere, and r is the distance between the two hemispheres.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres?

The strength of the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the hemispheres, the distance between them, and the medium in which they are placed.

4. Can the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres can be zero if the charges on the hemispheres are equal and opposite, canceling each other out. This is known as an electrically neutral system.

5. How does the electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres relate to the concept of electric potential?

The electric field between two uniformly charged hemispheres is related to the concept of electric potential by the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential at a point between the hemispheres. The electric potential is a scalar quantity, representing the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in the electric field.