Resources on UV-Visible Spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for good resources to learn UV-Visible Spectroscopy that not only explain the mathematical and theoretical aspects but also cover practical aspects. A suggestion is made to refer to a thread on Physics Forums which mentions an important detail about the optical arrangement of spectrometers. Another recommendation is given for the book "UV-VIS Spectroscopy and Its Applications" by H.H. Perkampus, but the cost is deemed too high and alternative options are considered.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need some good book(s) or other resources from where I can learn UV-Visible Spectroscopy. Besides explaining the mathematical and theoretical intricacies, it should also mention the practical aspects.

If you have read any and found it good, please recommend it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
I need some good book(s) or other resources from where I can learn UV-Visible Spectroscopy. Besides explaining the mathematical and theoretical intricacies, it should also mention the practical aspects.

If you have read any and found it good, please recommend it.

"UV-VIS Spectroscoppy and Its Applications" by H.H. Perkampus (Springer).

This is a classic 1992 book that had been translated several years ago.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
"UV-VIS Spectroscoppy and Its Applications" by H.H. Perkampus (Springer).

This is a classic 1992 book that had been translated several years ago.

Zz.
Thanks, but it's too costly. Let me see if I can borrow it from somewhere.

What is UV-Visible Spectroscopy?

UV-Visible Spectroscopy is a technique used in analytical chemistry to measure the absorption and transmission of light by a sample at different wavelengths in the ultraviolet and visible regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

What type of information can be obtained from UV-Visible Spectroscopy?

UV-Visible Spectroscopy can provide information about the electronic structure of molecules, such as the presence of conjugated systems or the identification of functional groups. It can also be used to determine the concentration of a sample, as well as the purity and stability of a compound.

How does UV-Visible Spectroscopy work?

UV-Visible Spectroscopy works by passing light of a specific wavelength through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed. The absorption spectrum is then plotted, with peaks corresponding to the wavelengths that are absorbed by the sample. The intensity of these peaks can provide information about the concentration of the sample or the presence of specific functional groups.

What are some common applications of UV-Visible Spectroscopy?

UV-Visible Spectroscopy is commonly used in pharmaceutical, environmental, and food industries for quality control and analysis. It is also used in research for the analysis of biological samples, such as proteins and nucleic acids, and in the study of reaction kinetics and mechanisms.

What are the advantages of using UV-Visible Spectroscopy?

Some advantages of UV-Visible Spectroscopy include its non-destructive nature, fast analysis time, and its ability to analyze a wide range of samples. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective technique compared to other analytical methods.