Rest, Mass, and Kinetic Energy

In summary: The older way is what you find in most older textbooks, while the newer way is what you find in most modern textbooks.
energeticringleader

Homework Statement

I really don't have a homework question just a thought. Is rest energy "maximum energy" for a particle? As to say a particle at rest has a given energy, so when it is in motion it transfers some mass energy to kinetic energy, where both the mass and kinetic energy together equal the rest energy?

Homework Equations

E=mc^2
E= T+ mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that E=mc^2 is supposed to include both the mass energy and kinetic energy. But what about the second equation. To me, that suggests that the rest energy is actually the total energy, as to say it is equal to the kinetic energy plus the rest energy. Can you guys help me straighten this out in head?

Physics news on Phys.org
energeticringleader said:

Homework Statement

I really don't have a homework question just a thought. Is rest energy "maximum energy" for a particle? As to say a particle at rest has a given energy, so when it is in motion it transfers some mass energy to kinetic energy, where both the mass and kinetic energy together equal the rest energy?

Homework Equations

E=mc^2
E= T+ mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that E=mc^2 is supposed to include both the mass energy and kinetic energy. But what about the second equation. To me, that suggests that the rest energy is actually the total energy, as to say it is equal to the kinetic energy plus the rest energy. Can you guys help me straighten this out in head?
You've got this wrong. Rest energy and mass energy are the same thing and do not include any kinetic energy. The total energy of a particle is given by

##E = \gamma mc^2 = T + mc^2##

Sometimes the rest energy is given as

##E_0 = mc^2##

Is rest energy "maximum energy" for a particle?
Actually, the rest energy is the minimum energy. If it is moving then it's total energy will be greater than its rest energy.

I know that E=mc^2 is supposed to include both the mass energy and kinetic energy. But what about the second equation.
You need to keep in mind that there are two basic ways of thinking about mass in relativity, which makes equations come out differently depending on which way a book's or website's author chooses.

The older way, which you find in old textbooks and (still) in most pop-science treatments of relativity, is to think in terms of "rest mass" ##m_0## and "relativistic mass" ##m.## In this case the total energy is $$E = mc^2 = \gamma m_0 c^2 = m_0 c^2 + T$$ (where ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}## and ##T## is kinetic energy) and the rest energy is $$E_0 = m_0 c^2.$$

The newer way, which you find in modern textbooks but not so much in pop-science treatments, is to think only in terms of what used to be called "rest mass" but is now just called "mass", and label it as ##m.## In this case the total energy is $$E = \gamma mc^2 = mc^2 + T$$ and the rest energy is $$E_0 = mc^2.$$

When you're reading any book or website or whatever, you need to be sure which way they're doing this.

Likes Ibix

1. What is the relationship between rest mass and kinetic energy?

The relationship between rest mass and kinetic energy is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This equation states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c²). This means that as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases, and this energy is directly proportional to the object's mass.

2. Can rest mass be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, according to the principle of mass-energy equivalence, rest mass can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. This is the basis for nuclear energy, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of kinetic energy through nuclear reactions.

3. How does the concept of rest mass differ from relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept used in special relativity to describe the mass of an object as it approaches the speed of light. It takes into account the increase in an object's mass as its velocity increases. In contrast, rest mass is the mass of an object when it is at rest and is considered to be the object's intrinsic mass.

4. Why is the speed of light squared in the equation E=mc²?

The speed of light squared is included in the equation E=mc² because it is a fundamental constant in the universe and is related to the concept of energy and mass. It is also the conversion factor between mass and energy, showing that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

5. How does the concept of rest mass relate to the conservation of energy?

The concept of rest mass is closely related to the conservation of energy. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system, including both rest energy and kinetic energy, remains constant over time.